Network design help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the following equipment and would like to set up a network with broadband internet access:
- computer 1 with 2 HDD( 80g and 40g), on board gigabit lan port, win XP, 2.8 P4 processor,1 gb ram
- computer 2 with 1 250g HDD, on board gigabit lan (p5b deluxe mobo), pentium D 805 proc, 1gig ram
-cisco 2514 router
-cisco 1900 router
-broadband internet through a toshiba hi speed modem (time warner)

I currently have a network with the cisco switch running but would like to mess around with with the router and do some NAT configurations in the process and also get some vlan experience with it.
So if anyone could give me an idea of how to setup the equipment such as should I have the hi speed modem connected to one of the computers then the router between the two pcs or should the it be modem to router then pcs to modem.
Any and all advice appreciated

For help with configuring the cisco routers you can go to cisco site and read all about the commands and what they do. Do you have your CNNA? Most of work here is done through either GUI or telnet.

you will find this much easier to admin;
Code:
modem --- either.router --- all other systems

thanks tipster.

I have my CCNA and am reasonably familiar with the cisco commands. I am also able to telnet in to the router when connected. Before this current network setup (with switch only) I had the router in place with the two PCs connected to it but I couldn't file share between the 2 PCs using ICS coz, according to a post here, XP uses 192.168.x.x for its IP address in same subnet but for the router I had different subnets on e0 and e1.Thats why I would love an example of a configuration showing how the two PCs on different networks can be used to access the internet. Am assuming ICS wont work in this case if two different network address are used.

joebeard

I was also thinking of that design but it then definitely means some sort of NAT configuration has to come in or is there another way.

NAT default is sufficient :)

Your VPN will be the issues and controlled entirely there, not in the router :)

Did you want to setup VLAN also? As for the firewall with NAT you have a Sandbox or Securied Cisco Firewall Box?

Yes I will be setting up a VLAN. I have an older machine running on a P3 @366mhz which I can upgrade to add to the network.
As for the firewall and general security I have no ideas beyond setting up ACLs and would like some advice on that.Especially explain what a sandbox is.

For know I am going to set the network up with static NAT for the PCs and with a range of IP addresses that my ISP provides by DHCP hopefully set up a range of ip addresses that will nbot loose the ISP outside connection.

Sandbox is another type of Firewall hardware device. AT work I use CISCO 3750 Switch tie into CISCO Router. We have VLAN networks setup because of the number of connections have exceeded. VLAN1, VLAN60. There are scripts that you can use to setup the PCs on VLAN. Make sure you decided you change switch ports to what VLAN attached device you going to use.

I discovered last night that for the 2514 router to obtain an ip address dynamically it needs interface configuration command "IP address dhcp" and this was only made available from IOS 12.1(2)T. I now have to install a new IOS image on the router.
Good news is that the router can be used for internet access through any of its ethernet interfaces.
So if there is anyone out there who knows a quick and easy way of installing the IOS on a router please HELP!

Almost there

well so far the problem I've had is that my IOS was too old and didn't have the IP address dhcp command to handle my connection.
Because I don't have any cisco license I can't download the image I need off there website so after searching the internet I finally found a free download of version 12.2(7a).
Once down loaded I tried various TFTP server software like filezilla and Tftpd32 to copy the image to the router but they allfailed even to copy from router to tftp server.
The only one that worked for me was cisco tftp server v1.1 with which I installled the image last nite so when I get off from work today I will set up the configuration and hopefully be up and running.
Then I will immediately post the whole configuration up by tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back