network file sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a windows XP file sharing issue I am wondering if anyone can help out with.

I have a home network with three computers all connected via a Linksys wireless router. Computer A is a PC running XP Pro connected via wired connection. Computer B is a PC running XP Home connected via wireless. Computer C is a laptop runnning XP Pro connected via wireless. Computers A and B can file share and print share no problem. Computer C is the one I am having a problem with. Computer C can see computers A and B, but when trying to access shared files or printer computer I get the dreaded "You might not have permission to use this network resource..." error. Computers A and B do not even see computer C. Computer C has no problem connecting to the Internet. Computer C can ping computers A and B.

Here is what I have done so far.
- verified the work group names are the same on all three computers.
- ensured simple file sharing is activated
- turned off the firewall on all computers.
- created a admin user account on computer A that matched that of Computer C.
- under services.msc ensured Server Service is started and set to automatic.
- enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP
- thrown computer C out of a three-story window (okay, so I haven’t tried that yet)

Any ideas?

if a and b can get to c the file sharing in c is not set right
look at your sharing and security tabs settings
under sharing I make a new share add the admin and network and remove everybody
then under security I again add admin the owner IE: (user name same machine)
and again the network
set all nics to auto speed duplex or the matching speed duplex of slowest nic
mine are set to 100/full duplex

Samstoned,

Thanks for the reply.

Computers A and B can't see C. C can see A and B, but can't access them.

I haven't tried removing and re-adding the network shares. I guess I could try that. :(

I don't know a thing about wireless
can you swap the wireless (c)around with the (a)
xp pro
make sure you check security profile to
at this point I'm guessing something to to with xp firewall and check authenticity
something about wireless protocals

make sure they can ping each other, both ways
--A----B---
ping b
.........ping a

do it also for A-C and B-C
under the Security Center, you can enable File/Print Sharing

Make sure all systems are on the same workgroup
XP uses MSHOME

I had this problem with a network before, and we found out that a spyware infected the computer so bad... we had no other choice but formatting the computer infected and it saw each other and shared fine. I hate to say that, but if everything else is exhausted on many attempts to get it to work - perhaps that is the problem. After all, it's what I experienced.

If by chance spyware has infected it, sharing can cause many issues if not reporting correctly. Give it a shot on the last results. Good luck!

Computers A, B, and C can all ping each other. In fact, now computers A and B can see C, but when they try to access it, they get the same "You might not have permission to use this network resource..." error.

My first thought would be firewall, but when I turn all firewalls off, A and B still cannot access C and vice versa. However, A and B can access each other.

it's not just network shares
its security tab
right click on the file, dir or hdd you want to share
go to security and add network and assign permissions
"You might not have permission to use this network resource..." error.
that is a good sign it's this area
check also under your nics settings you have netbios set

now since I don't use the wireless router you may have something set wrong here

Samstoned,

Sharing is set under the security tab and netbios is set.

I would think maybe is is something in my wireless except computer B is also wireless and works without a hitch. As far as I can tell both wireless adapters are configured identically.

create an account for each pc on the other(right click my computer, manage, users and groups) using the logon name for each one give rights neccesary and passwords...so each pc should have at least 3 user accoutns( 1 for its own loggon and one each for the others) that you use to log on and you will have no problems sharing any resources so long as there all on the same workgroup...its not alot of work for 3 pc's and gives you greater control over the sharing of resources especially when your using XP home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back