Network printer offline-cannot change

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseypeach

Howdy,

I have recently acquired a new laptop and have installed my printer software on it and have linked it via the wireless network, but it shows the printer is offline....what can I do to bring it available? I'm stumped.

Btw, the printer software is also installed on my server and I am able to print from the server, just not my laptop.

To add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer
Before you begin, make sure you know the name of the printer that you want to add. Sometimes the name is displayed on the printer itself. If the name is not on the printer, contact the printer owner or your network administrator to find out the printer's name before following the steps below.

1. Open Printers by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.

2. Click Add a printer.

3. In the Add Printer Wizard, select Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.

4. In the list of available printers, select the one you want to use, and then click Next. If your computer is connected to a network, only printers listed in Active Directory for your domain are displayed in the list.

5. If prompted, install the printer driver on your computer. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

6. Complete the additional steps in the wizard, and then click Finish.
(obtained from Microsoft's website)

There is a tutorial in My Network Places, or similar wording, within My Computer, which tells you what to do.
Like all things, it doesn't make sense until you already know how to do it.
Do you or will you have your printer connected by a network cable, or wireless, or just to one computer which is then connected to wireless.

This works very well, but is difficult to describe to somebody who hasn't done it when I don't have any computers with VISTA installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back