Network problem help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
up until recently ive had a perfect network in my house with 2 computers connected via lan cable through a network card at each end.

now all of a sudden i get a network cable is unplugged, there seems to be no prob at the other end just this computer

ARRG please help

It sounds like the dog or cat has pulled it out of the back of your machine. If they have not, I would do as Phantasm said and try another cable.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

i've also got a wierd problem, i have had a perfect network in my house. it consists of two computers networked card in each, connected via cat5e cable.
now all of a sudden i got a ballon in the corner saying 'limited or no activity.' this message only shows up on the main pc which has the net connection.
now any resource to do with the network doesnt work. (i cant share internet, i cant share files printers anything.on the client pc) i have also got an network ip adress of 169.254.123.111. so i click the ballon and click repair, and it says the following stages cant be completed' renewing the ip adress'

following this problem i tried running the network wizards again, no such luck, the wizard cant be completed, i think this is because it cant aquire an ip adsress.
i have also tried command prompts like 'ipconfig/renew' etc.

does any 1 no wot i can do to fix this confusiong problem. :mad: :mad:

A few basic setups when networking:

Router-setup WAN:
Protocol: Fixed IP
IP-address, Subnetmask and default Gateway: as per ISP-information
DNS-servers: as per ISP-information
Enable NAT

Router-setup LAN:
IP-address: set to e.g. 192.168.1.254 (or use default)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP-server: disable

Router: Some System-settings (depending on your router)
Optional SNTP (time): e.g. 194.35.252.7 for UK/Ireland (GMT)
uPnP: disable
Dynamic routing: disable
Remote config: disable
Dynamic DNS: disable
Firewall: Block hacker attack: enable
Firewall: Block WAN request: enable
VPN: disable all settings unless you need it

PC-Settings
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Use the following IP address: 192.168.1.101 (102, 103 etc.)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (IP-address from your Router)
Use DNS Server address: 192.168.1.254 (IP-address from your Router)
Second DNS: leave blank or put in first DNS-server from WAN-part in Router

Enable File/Printer sharing if you wish (works only within local network)
Check individual printer(s) that they are shared as well (in printer-settings)

And make sure all your PCs are in the same WORKGROUP.

If software firewall installed, enable the other PCs IP-address(es)

What error msg do you receive when you try to release/renew the address with ipconfig? (you may have to wait a few minutes for it to return an error)
Does the error reference DHCP or does it say something about a socket?

the error that shows up, is 'unable to contact dhcp server.'
:blackeye:

realblackstuff, thanks for your advise and information, i will try it out tonite. ;)

If these two machines are connected via a cat5 then RBS's info is mostly useless to you. His info is for router setup. If you don't have a router then you won't be able to use those settings.

You need to make sure that any firewalls are disabled on both machines until you get them talking again, then enable and configure them to allow eachother.

Have you recently installed SP2, I know by default they enable the firewall after installation, and that could be causing you a problem.

i have recently installed sp2 but before i set up my network, my network worked fine for about three weeks and after that it just stopped i dont know y. :dead: i dont have a router,and 'If these two machines are connected via a cat5 then RBS's info is mostly useless to you.' (quote)
Does this mean that i need another cable? :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back