Network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

40 oz.

I'm having a problem where I can access files from my win9x computer on my win2k computer, but when i try to access or get files from my win2k computer from the win9x computer, it asks for a password and i have no idea what the password is. Does anyone know a way to turn this off from win2k or to bypass the password? Any help is appreciated

I just went through this a few months ago and foregot exactly what causes it bit its in the network setting in 98 not 2000.

Perhaps you could enable the guest account in the Win2k PC and use that account to gain access to the system files. If the guest account hasn't got enough priviledge, try loggin in as the Administrator instead.

Go to Control Panel - Users and Passwords, in Advanced section, enable "Guest" account and with right-click, set password to be empty and select "Password never expires".

Try this, it will work better. On the Win2k comp, create a user with the same login and password as that of the Win98 comp. This way, you do not have the security leak that the Guest account allows.

There is a reason the Guest account is disabled, it keeps people from deleting information on the machine.

The following is from the following book:

Title: Windows 2000 Professional Advanced Configuration and Implementation
Publisher: Coriolis
Author(s): Morten Strung Nielsen, MCSE, MCT
ISBN: 1-57610-528-8
Publisher's Web Site: http://www.coriolis.com
Page Number(s): 447

Guests -- Intended to allow anyone without an account to log on to the computer, or connect to it over the network, and be granted limited abilites. These people should be instructed to log on to the Guest account (which, by default, is a member of the Guests group, but is disabled to avoid security issues). Thus, be very careful about which rights and permissions are granted to the Guest group account.

Hence, be very careful with the Guest account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back