Network Problems after Windows install repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumq

After my pc was infected by a malicious exe it didn't want to boot anymore.
I then used my windows backup disc repair windows just as described in your thread https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html. My sytem is back up
now, but my i-connection is gone and I dunno how to get it to work again. I've got a wireless router which I am connected to by LAN cable...and there is another pc (laptop) connected by WLAN. If I look up run- cmd-ipconfig/all, my ip seems to have changed at the end.The laptop-router connection still works perfectly but not the usual pc-router (lan) What can I do? If you need any details just ask pls

if I read you correctly, the wireless is running but the cabled system is not.

use View Network Connections->right click on the LAN to get to properties
pull down to TCP/IP -> properties
set DHCP for both IP and DNS
click ok

wait 30 sec and the run->cmd /k nslookup www.google.com

if you get anything other than timeout, you're good to go.

what do you mean exactly by "set DHCP for both IP and DNS" if I look at the properties ip- and DNS server address are set to automatic. If I also look at the direct LAN connection it says next to "address type, DHCP". I tried the
"wait 30 sec and the run->cmd /k nslookup www.google.com" you told me and I get the following
"The server name for the address 149.114.0.5 could not be found
No response from server
Server: UnKnown
www.google.com was not found by UnKnown:No response from server"
And you read me correctly about the problem.

192.168.0.1 is your router's address! :eek:

power off the modem and the router; disconnect your system from the router.

wait 30 sec

power-up the modem; wait 30 sec

power-up the router; wait another 30 sec;

now reconnect your system to the router; wait 30 sec

rerun cmd /k nslookup www.google.com

you *must* be able to get something like:

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.l.google.com
Addresses: 74.125.19.99, 74.125.19.103, 74.125.19.104, 74.125.19.147
Aliases: www.google.com

Nope, I did exactly that again and just get the same junk, although I must say that I had to translate some of the message because my os isn't english. I hav rebooted as well with no result.

your system can not SEE your router -- bad news!

try bypassing the router and cable directly to the modem

how do you mean "by pass the router" there are no slots left in my modem and like that only one pc would have an i-connection, sry but im a bit confused.

that is right -- we're trying to determine if your router is the cause of the problem.
connecting directly to the modem will show
a) the router is bad
or b) the problem is in the modem or the pc

I get "restricted connectivity or no connection" if I connect without router and directly into modem

power off the modem

shutdown the pc

power on the modem; wait 30 sec

restart your pc

oh gosh, sry to say its still the same "restricted connectivity or no connection", I cant receive any packages

Problem solved

Hi Its me again, I called my ISP and the problem was not them but me. A silly firewall (which was hidden) was the problem, but not the MS one. Anyway thx for your help ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back