Network problems - Officejet 7410, Linksys, Toshiba notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum so if this question is best suited for another area, please feel free to move.

I am having a lot of problems networking an OfficeJet 7410 which started over three months ago. No one I have spoken to, at HP or otherwise, could solve this puzzle. :confused: If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be really appreciated!

My Setup:
Toshiba SAT laptop
Linksys Wireless-G Router, WRT54G
HP OfficeJet 7410 printer
Windows XP Home w/ SP2 installed

Problem:
This is somewhat long so please bear with me.

Three months ago this printer was purchased and installed using the wireless connection. The printing functions would work without any problems, but additional features like scanning and memory readers would not work. They could not be found on the network (as if they were disconnected).

I switched to an Ethernet connection with the Cat5e cable. Everything installed and worked for about 4 hours then the scanneror the media readers would not be accessible (as before with wireless). I kept being instructed by HP to do an install, each time it would work for a few hours then start again. The printer was replaced two times by Office Depot. A few days ago when I received the second replacement I set it up using a USB cable and it isntalled/worked perfectly.

As I would really like to use this wireless or wired to be mobile with my laptop, I tried to setup the all-in-one again using either wired or wireless. I followed the uninstall steps provided by HP -I'll try anything at this point- and using their software uninstall utility. When trying to install the software for the printer (drivers, HP director, etc), setup cannot detect the printer on the network. I also tried manually entering the printer's IP address, Hostname and Hardware/MAC address. It still could not be detected.

I can ping the printer from the command prompt window. I also have no problem using the Embedded Web Server and I can print using an alternative HP driver as a standard TCP/IP printer. All firewall programs and security software have been disabled.

Here is a summary of the network configuration page:

1. Network Status: Ready
2. Active Connection Type: Wireless
3. URL: http://192.168.100.103
4. Hardware Address (MAC): 000d9d240176
5. Firmware Rev: RL6002xNx
6. Hostname: HPCA9428
7. IP Address: 192.168.100.103
8. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
9. Default Gateway: 192.168.100.1
10. Config Source: DHCP
11. DNS Server: 192.168.xxx.xxx
12. Admin Password:
13. Link Configuration: 802.11
14. mDNS: OfficeJet 7400 series (240176)
15. Wireless Status: Connected
16. Communication Mode: Infrastructure
17. Network Name (SSID):
18. Signal Strength (1 - 5): 5
19. Channel: 6
20. Authentication Type: Open System
21. Encryption: None
22. Access Point HW Address: 0013108d9d8d
23. Total Packets Transmitted: 52
24. Total Packets Received: 68

HP finally told me it was the Linksys router and that I needed a firmware upgrade. Tried that without any changes. Linksys Support claims it is the printer or something other then the router.

The last HP technician I spoke to said it may be a problem with the software installation CD, which I find odd considering it worked before. They said the drivers on HP.com would not work for networking.

I really am desperate to solve this problem. Thanks in advance!

Some printers do not work with certain network appliances vendor's technology... Some do not even function the way as they are advertised/designed. It is rather a printer compatibility problem rather than your linksys problem (However, check whether your linksys is purchased after linksys became CISCO's sub division. Some linksys products are not working properly before they became CISCO certified).

Thanks for the reply. I checked the router number with HP's list of "supported" routers and the WRT54G was listed and that it should work. With should being the operative word here. :)

This router has the CISCO label/certification on the front in addition to Linksys.

The printer seems to obtain its IP configuration through DHCP. Maybe it is unable to renew its lease - this would explain the couple of hour OK time. Try setting everything manually.

Thanks for the reply. I went through and manually configured the IP address (no longer using DHCP) and the HP software is still unable to detect the printer.

Put in the printer address manually to the HP software too. The MAC broadcasts done by the software may not go through the router and the wireless.

HP software, I take to mean during HP setup? After the setup fails to detect the printer, it provides the following options: 1.) MAC address, 2.) Hostname, 3.) IP address. Using the network config page, I tried all three options and each time I directed back to the search page.

Hi I am new to forum.

Have a client with the same problem, Toshiba laptop, Linksys WRT54G, and HP Officejet 7400xi All-In-One printer. All the hardware in brand new. It was working for a short couple of months, now remains offline all the time. Checked Linksys it is working fine. Checked configuration of printer and WEP's encryption, ok, printer blue wireless light is on, also checked laptops WEP’s, all ok. Tried network software from HP, will see printer but fails during installation. Disabled Norton Virus, Spyware, and Firewall for installation.

Client got printer software CD and installed printer through wireless network, it sees it and starts installation and activates printer in printers control panel, but fails at the product registration, wrong web link, can only stop program though task manager or reboot. Client also has a HP Officejet 6300 installed at home. Can print to printer until I do a reboot, then the printer remains offline. Also the HP Director brings up the HP OJ 6300 software not the 7400's. So the features of the printer are not usable, only the 6300's. Tried all the critical updates from HP and everything is up to date, so no help there.

When it is connected through the USB port it installs a connection through that port and just printing is available.

Any suggestion what else can be done to fix this problem?

Thank you.

Already tried that, the current CD has all the latest driver from HP. Even tried the critical updates which the CD is newer than the updates, so nothing on the HP site is newer than the current CD!

Not that anyone is still reading this thread, but for what it's worth: Whenever you have a problem where a Linksys product is involved, even if you know it isn't the problem, call Linksys. Ask to speak to a Level 3 Tech. Even when it isn't their hardware/software causing the problem, they have been extremely knowledgeable about any issues even remotely relating to their products, and have been so very willing to help. Oh, and BTW - welcome to the world of problematic HP printers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back