Network stopped connecting - still acquiring network address...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevermind..

Ok, somehow it fixed when i reentered the WEP or WPA key.. though i had done this before .. and the reason for it stoping in the first place was non existant... anyway.. thank you for giving me somewhere to type somethign while i stressed.. :)

I didn't even restart the computer.
I went out while burning a dvd, came back to collect the dvd and noticed the internet had shut off.. thought my dad may have shut off the internet or pluged the ethernet cable straight into the pc downstairs instead of the router. Came back later and realised it was just saying acquiring network address...

Windows XP SP2
Actiontec GT701-WRU router
Actiontec 802UIG-1 card on my PC
At the moment om on my laptop... (Norton 360)
My PC has ZoneAlarm (free)
Downstairs PC has Norton 360

Attempts:
I have pressed the repair button on the wireless connection 4 window, it said "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Disbling the wireless network adapter. Make sure your network adapter is properly installed."

Run>cmd>ipconfig /release
"IP address for adapter Wireless Network Connection 4 has already been released"

Run>cmd>ipconfig /renew
"an error occured while renewing interface wireless network connection 4 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

Uninstalled the driver for the wireless card by going to safely remove but clicking on the properties and going to the driver tab then uninstalled. On restart it reinstalled itself (I left it plugged in).

There were a few things in event viewer that may be related. If you want me to post them, I can.

The results of Run>cmd>ipconfig:

Host Name .. eve
Primary Dns Suffix ..
Node Type .. unknown
IP routing enabled .. no
WINS Proxy Enabled .. no

Ethernet adapter Wireless network connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS suffix ..
Description .. Actiontec 54Mbps USB Wireless Adapter #3
Physical Address ..
Dhcp Enabled .. Yes
Autoconfigurtation Enabled .. Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address ..
Subnet Mask .. 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway ..

I've already lost over a day in training on eve online :)
And i'm down on the Savage 2 Leaderboard!!!
Therefore this is of utmost urgency!

Thank you very much in advance, happy sunday!

Glad you fixed your problem.

Just a comment...
When troubleshooting your wireless problem, you summarized the actions you took.

Maybe you just didn't mention doing it, but as a very first thing to do: I find it often helpful during wireless problems to grab a network cable and run wired connection between the computer and router to see (1) if that connection is working (2) see what might be going on in the router and its current status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back