network tangle

Status
Not open for further replies.

triiifashions

i just replaced a desktop computer in my three computer network and now of course problems.i have a main desktop and then i have a computer for the kids and i have a hp laptop.before all could see and share off each other but now that i replaced the kids computer my main desktop and ics computer can see both of the other computers and they can see it but the laptop and the kids computer cant see each other strange and i dont know where to look to find the prob

any help

thanks

try turning off ICS, on all 3 computers and rerunning the wizard to start it again. Begin with the main computer & then do the other 2.

Do remember that even MS refers to ICS as the method of last resort. Just about any router you can find in the store will work better & be "good enough". The high end gear is for those with specific needs, like managing P2P, VOIP, multiple zones & stuff. I would stick to name brands, as they are more likely to have english-speaking support (perhaps not native speakers, but speakers)
:)

Say each computer has only one hard drive, being the C drive. So make each C drive available on the network, with a share name of "C". Then, on each computer in turn, go into my network places, click add a network place, and type in \\computername\C\. It should add it to my network places (not sure about OSes other than XP, though).

Also be shure to turn off "simple file sharing".
People say this is good if you want to share over a network.
You could also check if your DHCP is on and if all IP's are correct.

kitty500cat said:
click add a network place, and type in \\computername\C\. It should add it to my network places (not sure about OSes other than XP, though).
Personally, using XP/home SP2, I've always found it easier to Map Network Drive ...
as it will browse for all Shares and if not found, you know Sharing is not setup correctly.

As only the new computer is having problems, that config is the one to investigate:
Ensure same Workgroup name is used
right-click My Computer->properties->Computer Name tab​
ensure your firewall has enabled print/file sharing (ie ports 139,445)
Ensure all systems can ping each other, both ways
on A; run->cmd /k ping B (using the address of B)
on B; run->cmd /k ping A (using the address of A)
etc ...​

edit ps: On XP/Home, Simple File Sharing is all you get

Other OSes (OS X and Linux) show up fine using Map Network Drive too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back