Networking, 1 desktop as host to 3 laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowman

Here is my problem. At the apartment im in i have wireless for only one computer, my own. my 3 roomates want internet but dont want to pay extra. i would like to keep the wireless aspect for them as well so i do not have to run cables out to them. is there any close to cheap way to do this? for 3 more accounts it would be an extra $45 a month, for the next 5 months. so anything cheaper than that would be nice. thank you for the help.

snowman

snowman said:
Here is my problem. At the apartment im in i have wireless for only one computer, my own. my 3 roomates want internet but dont want to pay extra. i would like to keep the wireless aspect for them as well so i do not have to run cables out to them. is there any close to cheap way to do this? for 3 more accounts it would be an extra $45 a month, for the next 5 months. so anything cheaper than that would be nice. thank you for the help.

snowman

use ICS, look up internet connection sharing in the help file, you need 2 NICS in the PC, one takes in the Internet, the other shares it out, I havent actually tried using a WIFI card as an OUT for ICS but the principle is the same.

Or by a wireless router and clone your mac address of the NIC in the PC and use that to share the broadband, your friends will need to buy WIfi cards for the laptops.

Either way your still going to have pay something out and as you say $45 dollars for 3 accounts is probably cheaper.

Regards

maybe a wireless bridge and 2 wireless cards
slower internet ,but cheaper
don't know if you would even need the bridge
just the 2 cards
when all are connected slow so look up the newer wireless G's(faster)
what typ'o wireless system ,now.

Why don't you get a wireless router. That way your ISP only sees 1 connection (preventing you from paying for 3 additional connections) and everyone keeps wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back