Networking 2 pcs via wireless lan cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

Hello, I have two pcs and i was wondering if i bought two pci network cards would they be able to share files? I know to share the internet you need a router thing, and a reciever on the pc you want to share the internet with.
But if i bought to recivers would they be able to share file and stuff?

If this idea doesnt work what other solutions are there?

Alex

To share files all you need is for both pc's to have an ethernet card of some sort & crossover cable them together (red cable). Then just enable simple file sharing thru your TCP/IP settings on both pc's & make whatever folders you want shared.

:grinthumb

Thank you for your input mikescorpio, we all appreciate the care you put in to reading the threads before replying to them.

Hey Gamingguy....
I use exactly the same setup (that you want) at my home to network 1 PC (desktop) and 2 notebooks....
With 2 wireless network cards, you can easily share Internet as well as files....
Here is how:

1- Install the wireless (802.11 b/g i presume) on both the machines..
2- Let us refer to the PC with the Internet connection as PC-A, and the other one as PC-B
3- I am Assuming PC-1 already has one wired NIC(for your internet)
4- Go the TCP/IP properties of the wireless card on PC-A and assign it an IP of 192.168.0.1
5- Go to wireless networks tab and add a new network, Make sure that you have enabled the chekmark for Ad-Hoc network, give this network a SSID (name), say 'test'...DO not enable WEP/WPA now...that can be done later....Click OK and you are done with PC-A
6- Go to PC- B, assign the wireless card a IP of 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1
7- Serach for wireless networks from this PC, you should be able to see test...connect to it...
8- Try pinging 192.168.0.1
9- If it works, you are almost done....go back to PC-A and enable ICS on the other NIC that is connected to the Internet.....

POst back if it works....or if it doesn't

Thanks

Thanks for all the help, i will be buying the cards soon and will try it. If it doent work i will post back on the same title.

Thanks, Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back