Networking 2 pc's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

This is my first attempt at networking and I am sure it should be easy, if you believe all Microsoft say, but I am having some problems joining 2 pc's.
One pc has windows XP home edition and the other is running ME, the ME has a network card and the XP has the onboard networking on the Asus A7N8X motherboard.I have joined the 2 with a crossover cable and run the networking wizard from XP on both machines.
Now in theory they should communicate but they seem to have fallen out with each other cos neither seems to be able to find the other. The network icon in the task bar on the XP machine detects if the other pc is on the network, ie. if the ME machine is switched off it flags a message to inform me it is disconnected, so I assume there is some communication going on.
I have checked the TCP/IP settings on both and they are correct, I have tried to search for either machine from the other without success. I am sure the problem is a simple one but at the moment it has me beat, so where am I going wrong here?
Have you guys any suggestions?

Both machines must have the same workgroup and the XP has to use simple file sharing.

Yes, both pc's are the same workgroup.

I was hoping to share the printer and broadband connection on the XP machine with the ME machine. The XP wizard suggests this should be straightforward, or am I being a little naive expecting Microsoft products to be simple to use......:D

In order to share your broadband connection you need to use a router or hub. I'm using a d-link residential gateway router to share my connection with one pc using XP and the other Win98SE. After setting up the network on XP it will ask you to create a network setup disk to install the files needed for the other pc to get connected. You said you are using a crossover cable? With the router i'm using cat5 patch cables for all the router connections to each pc's nic card and to the cable modem.

A7N8X (at least version Deluxe) comes with 2 networking ports, take advantage of it. Hook up the broadband on one, and the network with crossover to the other computer.

If you don't want to buy a router, then you can always use Internet Connection Sharing through XP. The XP machine will just need 2 NIC's and the ME one will just need one. There is a guide in the networking section, you just need to follow that and everything should work out ok.

Thanks guys, I will try your recommendations and see if I can get this working OK.

Incidentally, I know of someone else here who is trying the same and having similar problems, When he had ME on both his machines he had no problems, he is now cosidering updating the second computer to XP to cure the problem.

I successfully networked 98se and XP Pro together using a crossover cable and 2 NICs in my machine. I don't see why that won't work if you keep things to defaults and confirm that they are both in the same workgroup.

Finally some progress but the speed is poor, it is only running at 10 and not the 100 as I expected, both pc's have 10/100 networking capability.
I have checked thro all the most likely places in windows and cannot seem to find anyway to change the speed, is iot automatically set by the software?

You will have to go to properites of each NIC, in there you will click on Configure. Once there move to the Advanced tab, and select the media type property. Then on the right pulldown menu you should see 10Mb, Half Duplex (most likely) simply change this to 100 Mb, Full Duplex.

I hope this helps. If not post back and we'll get you straightened out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back