Networking 98 and XP through USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello..can you help me?

Hi, I'm Feefs and I could do with some advice....I would like to network 2 laptops, one is an old acer 380 extensa the other is an acer aspire 1705sci, I am not network friendly....i only programme!!

Can you network two computers if they are using different versions of Windows (say win98 and WinXP home)? And if so how?

If you have a USB network cable what else do you need to share devices and the internet between the 2 machines?

please please please help......I am writing my PhD up and could do with both machines co-operating.....need all the back up I can get :)

Big thanks if you are reading this!

Would if I could

Thanks for replying realblackstuff but I don't know what else to add....I am an absolute beginner!

Is it possible to connect computers with usb or do you have to use the ethernet connections? The wizard doesn't seem to give the alternative for usb network cables...and if I use one of the computers as the main server...is it possible to connect the 2 laptops to share resources?

I have a little knowledge on a few things...but not enough on the whole deal....

sorry, if you tell me how....I can tell you whether it works!

Much appreciated

I can see cleary now!

OK I was in the dark yesterday RBS, but it wasn't the computer it was only me....I installed the bridge driver and not the network driver The network driver has 2 parts......to install to the internet or to transfer files....you can't use both together......but it's still very useful. No ethernet wire, no cards, no hubs, just a USB2 network cable......great.

Thanks for your help, I came across that site by another person too yesterday...must be good!

Anyone having similar problems, might like to find a bunch of manuals at www.prolific.com.tw just in case!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back