Networking Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! First Post here ;)

I've recently setup a Wireless Network at home between 1 PC that is in my bedroom and 1 Laptop that is in the living room; everything is working fine. I can connect to the internet on both etc.

The problem is that the laptop can't seem to find the network and I have no idea why that is? I've got some folders on the PC that are enabled for sharing but I cant seem to connect to them from the laptop

I dont know what to try or do, so any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

EDIT: Any info needed just ask

It sounds like they are on different workgroups. Right click on my computer and choose properties. Then click on the Computer name tab...then click change..
There you need to specify a common workgroup name between the 2 computers.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Thanks for the welcome.

The desktop and laptop have the same workgroup, MSHOME.

I think the problem could be that I dont have a wireless desktop card installed on the PC, correct? I would like to share the printer and folders wirelessly from the PC to the laptop and vice versa.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks

No that has nothing to do with it. As long as you are using a router, which I'm assuming you are to get both on the internet at the same time. I think it might be something to do with a firewall setup on one or both computers.
I know when I first setup my network at home I had a firewall installed not to allow anything into it. I just added a trusted range of ip addresses( from my local network) and all was solved.

Yes, i'm using a wireless Belkin Router, which is connected to the PC and the laptop has a Belkin wireless notebook network card.

As for firewall, the laptop and PC only has Windows Firewall enabled but the laptop also has Norton Internet Security.

Any other suggestion are welcome, thanks

Not to confuse you - I'm only saying turn one of the firewalls off. It may simplify things if you turn off the Norton firewall. I'm assuming you're on XP SP2. Go to Control Panel | Windows firewall and see if you can figure it out. I haven't used Windows firewall so if you can't sort it from there get back and somebody else will sort you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back