Networking home pc running XP pro with laptop running Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can ping these two machines yet on my laptop, in my network places i cannot see my home pc or my laptop in the workgroup. On my home pc i can see my home pc in the workgroup. All firewalls are off that I know too.

Is there a setting on my laptop stopping it joining the workgroup. Because it is not in the workgroup, i guess that is why my home pc cannot detect it.

When i search for computers nothing is detected, yet when i search for "laptop" it finds it in my workgroup. Yet no symbol is showing.

I want the connection purely for file transfer.

Static IP address are ok, 192.168.0.1 for hom pc and 192.168.0.2 for laptop.
Workgroup is same on both machines.

Really Really Frustrated now!

Can anyone please try to help.

PS. My laptop was setup for a network at my office originally, but I don't see how that matters?

This has to be the most asked question,

First get identical accounts on the XP and 2k, such as user with a password of user.
Turn off simple file sharing on the XP machine, its Explorer \Tools \Folder Options \View drag the bar to the bottom and untick simple file sharing.

Ensure both machines are in the same workgroup, this is found in XP by right clicking my computer on the desktop and choosing properties then choose computer name then click change, by default XP Pro and 2K use "Workgroup" but XP Home uses MSHOME for some strange reason, to change the work group in 2K right click my computer choose properties, choose network Identification, properties.

Then share the folders you want access to by opening explorer and right click the folder and choose sharing, follow the tabs

reboot the PC's and that should do you.

I always check by doing this

start run "\\machinename\c$
this attempts to connect to the admin string of the PC, this share is always present and means you dont have to worry about sharing individual folders.

If this works congratulate yourself for being clever and have a large Rum and coke and a Cigar.

If not post back and someone cleverer than me will help..

tried all of the above, but on my laptop i cannot get any icons in my workgroup. It doesn't see anything. But i can ping?

My Windows 2000 is the pro version, does this make any difference?

when i run \\machinename i get network path not found

Are you connected through wireless or cable?

It may have somethine to do with the modem

Regards,

Korrupt

Can you ping the machine names or just the IPs? If just the IPs then your issue is DNS. You should have a crude DNS server on your router and if you enter your primary DNS servers on each PC to your router's IP (e.g. 192.168.1.1) then you may find everything works again.

Z

In need of help

I hope people are still checking this thread...

I have a very similar situation. Two desktop PCs on a workgroup (with shared printers) running 2000 Pro. Got a new laptop running XP Pro, can't connect to the workgroup. When I select "view workgroup computers" from my XP laptop, it says it's not accessible, maybe I don't have permissions to access the workgroup.

I tried all the advice here, and met with some success. Here's what I CAN do now:

All computers can ping each other by IP address.
I can access the contents of the hard drive of any machine by IP address from any other machine (\\IPADRESS\c$)
I can SEE the XP laptop from my 2000 PC in the "Computers Near Me" tab. I CANNOT access it that way, though (machine is not accessible, network path not found).

Here's what I still CAN'T do:

The XP machine can't ping either 2000 PC by NAME (and vice versa).
I can't access any 2000 PC from the workgroup computers link on my XP laptop (and vice versa).

I'm desperate to use my networked printers. Any ideas? Is this a DNS problem, and how do I fix it?

The laptop is connected wirelessly, both desktops are connected by ethernet cable to the router.

my advice (and not good) is to start over building the network, get the disk out and make the network places al over again and share printers and file, reboot computers and see if everything is not in place. if not hope some with more experence than me comes along. this is what I have to do to get a EXpro and a XP home to network.

A quick update:

I used DHCP reservation to give internal "static" IPs to all of these machines, and then setup the printers via that IP address (linked to \\192.168.0.2\printername). It works, and should be fine. I just can't do the normal Windows Networking stuff.

This is good enough for now. It really does seem like a DNS issue (the XP computer just can't translate "computername" into "192.168.0.2"). But I know next to nothing about DNS.

Any more advice is appreciated, but at least I've gotten it working for now!

For each box on your network you need to do this:

1. click on start
2. click on run
3. type: secpol.msc

Need to change the way the PCs behave on your network. Do you want them to have access to each other, in you case yes.

Need to change the Guest mode to Classic Mode
Also disable the Guest mode you don't anyone outside or inside your network able to get access.

On each PC you should have account where you can log into the boxes from using admin account.

No need to rebuild your network that just takes too much time...

When I run that program, a LARGE list of settings comes up. Which ones do I change, and to what settings?

Sorry if that's a stupid question, I just don't want to screw anything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back