Networking local wireless router with 3G USB modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am trying to network the following:

Billion myguard 7202G wireless router (4x LAN and phone line in)
Samsung X20 running Windows XP
Toshiba Portege with docking station running Windows 98SE
Printer (old printer port thing, but still works, so I’d like to use it) can only connect to the Toshiba as Samsung doesn’t have that port.
Scanner (USB)
Huawei E220 wireless USB 3G modem
and in the future, plan on adding an external HD and/or desktop PC. Maybe also new printer when the old one dies :blush:

At the moment I have internet via the Huawei modem connected to the Samsung laptop. Previously I had internet via ADSL to the Billion wireless router.

I have tried to connect the Samsung laptop (with internet) and Toshiba to the router via wireless and LAN without any joy. I don’t know if it is settings, physical connections or you just can’t do that.

I’d like to keep the Toshiba running Windows 98SE as I still use some software that I haven’t been able to get to work on XP and the 3G modem will not work with this OS (one reason I’d like to network it).

I can make a crossover cable to connect the two computers, but would like (even if just for the project appeal) to have a more permanent and expandable wireless network where the computers are free to move.

Can USB hardware like HD’s and printers be connected to the router via an adaptor?
Can the 3G USB modem be connected directly to the router?

Basically, I just need the router to be a local network router now and not a “gateway” to the internet (if I got that terminology right J :eek: ) as I use the USB modem with a 3G wireless ISP.

Has anyone else tried to do something like this?

Thanks in advance and I hope I got the terminology somewhere close.

No, you can not connect a USB modem to the router. You can make one computer connect to the internet using that modem and then share that internet to all the others through the router.

To configure the router, follow the guidelines for using two routers (plenty of threads and isntrucions on the net for that) imagining that the modem computer is the "primary" router.

Thanks Nodsu,

The "two router" approach got it up and going. I had to do a lot more reading about it because this idea did not occur to me at all. The network at the moment is not brilliant, but it kind of works. It's just a matter of playing around with settings and stuff and get it up to scratch.

Thanks for the heads up on this one and putting me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back