networking-pinging dns server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, newbie here :)

i try to set up a networking at my house using a router WGR614 and adsl connection, everything works fine, its just that some of the website couldnot be loaded at all , e.g www.gmail.com, i also could not connect to msn messenger.
my thought would be that i have to allocate dns server instead of letting it to autosearch. After entering the dns server, i tried to ping it but it kept on returning "request time out"? what i want to know is that, is it possible for client to ping to dns server? i can ping myself (192.168.0.xxx) and the gateway(192.168.0.1), the router ip (assigned by adsl provider) 203.x.x.x as well . but i cannot ping the dns server and also other website ip such as www.hotmail.com, www.yahoo.com etc.

any advice?
thanks

wilo

Disable any software firewalls on your computer when troubleshooting the network.

You can test DNS servers with the nslookup utility. Run nslookup and you can enter name queries there and see if the DNS server you configured responds.

Your router may be blocking ping replies too. Did you set up any packet filtering? Also, your ISP may be blocking traffic to "protect" you.

thanks for the ans nodsu,

here is what it looks like if i try nslookup:

> www.gmail.com
Server: server.myisp.net
Address: 203.130.206.xxx

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: gmail.google.akadns.net
Addresses: 64.233.185.106, 64.233.185.107
Aliases: www.gmail.com, gmail.google.com

and also i think i did not set up any packet filtering cos when i set my network i just let the router do it all using the setup detection and that's it :) nothing else :)

err...what do u mean ISP blocking traffic to "protect" me?

thx

wilo

er its wireless router but i use cable as well :)
o i forgot to mention, if i use the adsl connection straight from the modem cable(without the router) everything is fine, even without setting the dns server. i can browse all the sites mentioned above without problem, but once it goes through router, it started to have prob accessing certain web pages :( ?

any idea?

thx
wilo

It sounds like router settings to me. I know that I can go into my router here and disable certain sites, or to change settings in such a way that certain sites just can't be gotten to. You might want to make sure that everythings set properly and all the dns/ip's are correct. one of those off can cause a lot of problems.

well i did try several settings with the router but to no avail :(
so i just set it back using the most basic auto detection setting.
still cannot solve this prob yet :(
anymore input?

thanks

wilo

some sites can't be pinged google can be pinged
I had a problem just last week with my system not being able to get pinged ,never did find out what went wrong .
did a register change and got it back?
every time you add new software just before you do if system is stable back up reg files
if new software gives you grief or something else like a bug just go back
I do like to know the cause of why things go wrong ,sometimes don't have the time.
your firawall settings may have stopped the address's from getting through
if you are running behind a proxy some sites stop them
in your router setting try allowing one ip address to tunnel in if that works could be a protocol that is set wrong

hi

i ve solved the prob at last, it turns out to be the mac address in the setting and the mac address of the netgear is different!! (only the last digit though, typo i think) sorry to cause everyone's trouble. now everyone can connect to internet and browse any sites :) hehehehe. However i still get request time out if i try to ping sites using nslookup, wierd. nevertheless as long as my connection is ok, i am happy to forget about it hehehe. ^_^

thanks everyone.

wilo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back