Networking problem: computer can't be accessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

I think I've got a problem with sharing access on one of my 3 computers, it is a one way thing (he can access the other 2, but not the other way around).

I can't figure out how to fix this.

Anyway, all 3 are running Winxp SP2 (yeh, just updated recently) but the problem was there even before SP2. Windows Firewalls are all down (Windows firewall is crap IMO).

Anyway, all 3 are connected to the internet via a Dlink 714P+, which is connected to a modem which is irrelevant to the problem.

computer1 is using a link 10/100 card, the other 2 are using onboard Asus P4V800 network cards.

Computer 1 and computer 2 can connect to each other and share files, computer 3 can access computer 1 and 2's files, but not the other way around. All 3 computers can be connected to play games or something.

Sharing is already set for all computers.

Hope thats enough info.

Yeh, I realised that, but I can't seem to solve it. Probably missed a small step or soemthing, but I've tried setting everything I know but nothing helps.

Is there another step by step thing on setting permissions that I can follow? Or maybe a checklist....

Permissions depend on OS. Is that XP Home or Pro?
XP Pro has permissions via the "security" tab in the properties on your files/folders and shares.

For Pro, you might go into My Computer and click Tools-Folder Options. And then the View tab. Scroll to the bottom of the list I think there is a item called like "use simple file sharing". Uncheck that. On all the PCs uncheck that maybe.

When you say they can't access it, you're talking about a shared folder right?
I might still blame a firewall. If not the built-in one (you're sure it's off?) then check that it isn't running a software firewall as part of Norton or McAfee or whatever you run.

Some people don't think so, but almost every networking issue like this comes down to a firewall blocking access from somewhere.

Also make sure the 3 PCs are on the same Workgroup and same subnet and IP address range.

On one of the PCs that can't access the other one, open CMD (start-run-"cmd") and then type something like "ping computername" whatever the computer name is. To see the computer name right click My Computer and choose Properties then Computer Name tab or whatever. Also try typing "ping IPADDRESS". You'll have to find out what the current IP of the system is you want to ping.

Anyways. Maybe that helps.

if you've got any firewall software installed on the machien in question, make sure you set up exceptions for the desired operations. you might even want to turn it off briefly and retry connecting.

Its XP Pro

When I say I can't access the computer, I meant anything I set as shared (which in this case is both the HDDs and all their partitions).

I am using antiVir (not sure if it has a firewall), but all the computers have the same version, and I have them all at the same settings. 2 of my computers can share files with no problems, only the third, which can access the other 2, but not the other way around.

Also, it cannot be because of the IP as everything goes through a router, and the router sets the IPs for all 3. But just in case, I've checked the router and all of them are on different IPs, same subsets.

I've checked the simple file sharing thing, its already unchecked.

One last thing about the antivir, I've just installed it on that computer recently, it was having low HDD space problems which was fixed just 3 weeks ago. Which is why I'm now concerned about accessing this comp's partitions.

Hmm. On the PC that CAN'T be accessed, right-click a shared folder and check the security. In the security ACL what user names or groups are there? You may see ones like "Owner" or "Administrators". Try adding a new group which is called "Everyone" and give them full permissions. Then see if you can access the PC from the other 2.

Check the Workgroup name on all 3. This usually doesn't matter for XP.
Next try the ping once you know the computer names of the other 2.

From the good PCs click Start-Run and type "\\computername\sharename". This should open the actual shared folder. You'll have to know the names of which.
Or click Start-Run and type CMD. Once there type "PING IPADDRESS" if you know the IP. Or "PING COMPUTERNAME" if you know the computer name.

If you can't open the share directly, if you can't ping the computer name, if you can't ping the IP address; then all communications are being blocked. I still have to suspect firewall issues. That is, all communications coming IN, as you can still view the other PCs (outbound).

Then again, if you CAN ping the computer name and/or CAN ping the IP address; then something is likely messed up with security permissions. Try to NOT share the whole of the drive itself. As you still won't be able to access certain things. Try just sharing a normal folder, rather then the whole drive. And check security on that folder.

good luck

If I remember correctly, I have set the group name with the same name.

Also, I realise its a security risk but I have permissions set so everyone can access my comp if they know how. No passwords whatsoever, but the PCs are home computers so I don't really care if I lose all my files, or someone accesses them.

Anyway, I've checked everything else.

One thing I realised is this: The 3rd (problematic) computer was once mine, so the account being used is exactly the same name as the first computer, will that be a problem?

I might resort to re-installing windows if this is the case, I'd prefer to start afresh.

Hi ,

Just a suggestion. On the PC3 bring up the LAN adapter properties.

At the menu -> select "advance" -> "Windows Firewall setting" ->
"Exception".

Ensure that File and Priner sharing options are "checked" under the exceptions list

click OK to apply the changes. Now try access PC3 from other two PCs

Let me know whether is works.

cheers
TWK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back