Networking problem...computers can exchange files, but not connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to link two computers via patch/crossover cable. They both have XP, LAN cards, the cable is in fine, the cards are set at 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102, the firewall (during testing) was completely disabled, and all files were shared.

Computer 1 can access computer 2 without any problem. Computer 2 can see computer 1, but can't access it (get the "check with your administrator for access permissions). However, computer 2 can map drives from computer 1 and access files that way.....I just can't go in through the MSHOME network and double click computer 1's icon.

If all I wanted to do was swap files, I could live with it, but I'd like to play games between the two, and while 1 can see games hosted by 2, 2 never sees computer 1, so it doesn't work.

Any ideas? The systems are obviously communicating.....it's frustrating being so close, and yet having no clue what the last step is to make it work.

Shouldn't be a firewall issue. I turned off the XP firewall on both systems to see if it made a difference, but no change. Computer 1 belongs to a friend who's not too computer savvy, while computer 2 is mine (not too savyy myself, it would seem).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back