Networking question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I currently have all my computers networked together (3 desktops,1 laptop) my laptop also has wireless capability. My question is rather than run a cable all the way up to my bed room can i have a wireless network setup an still keep my current setup on my desktops? It would be nice to be able to use my laptop anywhere in the house.

Yes you can.

You could either replace your existing router (I'm sure you have one) with a wireless router or just buy a wireless access point and plug it into your wired network.

Just make sure you secure your wireless network properly, or you could be compromised. Feel free to ask more questions here if you have any :)

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Thanks, Poetner what are your tips?My neighbor next door has wireless since our laptop seems to pick up their connection alot. Does that mean their setup is unsecure?

employing a custom router password and enacting wep or wpa (wpa > wep) encryption constitute adequate security for the average home user. higher security options such as mac address filtering are usually unnessesary, but may be employed simply enough at the user's discretion.

That is the major things that I would do around your home network.

Just because you see your neighbors wireless network doesn't mean it's not secure. But if they are good friends you might check it for them, and help them secure it so others can't take advantage of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back