Networking two computers for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

identityless

I know that if I want to network two computers, I need a broadband router(I'm hoping to get wireless) and a wireless PC card (do I)?

I have a main computer that I use with W2K NT Professional and one with Windows 98. I want to transfer several large files on that Windows 98 machine to the W2K one. Would two different operating system matters? Additionally, if one wireless router is needed, do I still need to buy two wireless PC Card for both of my computers?

If you only want to transfer files from W98 to W2K, you could work that with a W98 special serial cable (cheap but very slow) or a parallel cable (still cheap and a little bit faster).

The same -but faster again- can be achieved with the program LapLink (that comes with a transfer cable).

If you want to do a handyman-special, take the HD from the W98 PC and stick it temporarily in the W2K PC, to transfer your data (is by far the cheapest). Make sure to set the master/slave jumpers correctly and reset them before you put the W98-disk back in.

If you want networking, then if you go the wireless way, you will need a router with a built-in or a separate wireless access-point, and a wireless PCI-card for each PC. If you live in a densely populated area, go for the more expensive but less congested 802.11a (5GHz) standard, otherwise for 802.11b/g (2.4GHz).

It is cheaper and faster to go the WIRED way. You only need 2 10/100 Fast ethernet PCI-cards and a cross-over cable, which will cost no more than about $40.-/£20.-.

Tell us if you want anything more from that network (like internet/broadband)

If you want networking, then if you go the wireless way, you will need a router with a built-in or a separate wireless access-point, and a wireless PCI-card for each PC. If you live in a densely populated area, go for the more expensive but less congested 802.11a (5GHz) standard, otherwise for 802.11b/g (2.4GHz).

So, basically, for the networking, I just need one broadband wireless access-point router and two PCI-card for each PC (one for the Win98 and the Win2K) right? Since it's wireless, will those PCI-card contain a cable or phone jack?

If you want to go on the internet as well, yes that is what you need. The PCI-cards have only a small antenna on the outside, no cables.

When looking for a router, check what you need first. You WILL want a firewall, NAT and VPN in that router, as well as at least 4 ethernet 10/100 connections. You MAY want a wireless access point in it, although an external one gives you more freedom if wireless standards change.
Some routers come with a serial port, to which you could connect your old 56K modem, in case broadband craps out. Some come with a parallel port, to which you could hook up your printer (thus working as a print-server). That way the PC with the printer need not be on for the printer to work.

Look around for a reliable product, check this website's forum for problems/good things with broadband.
http://www.dslreports.com/

And when you finally buy, get everything from the same manufacturer.

Is it a MUST to have a wireless router? if I want just two computers connected together, with file sharing and gaming funtionalities, but NOT going online.

Originally posted by realblackstuff

It is cheaper and faster to go the WIRED way. You only need 2 10/100 Fast ethernet PCI-cards and a cross-over cable, which will cost no more than about $40.-/£20.-.

Another cheaper way since you are getting a router is to get 2 10/100 Fast ethernet pci cards and two pieces of RJ45 ethernet cable plus a router with multiple ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back