Networking two routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Hi everyone, im having another lan at my house, and more ppl are commin. but im looking for a cheap alternative to buying one new 8 or more port router. I have verizon dsl, currentley i have a linksys etherfast 4 port router. I was thinking about upgrading to the 8 port for 80-100. But, can i buy some other generic/midrange priced router? so i can have a 7 port max config?, With my linksys one. I should of bought the product replacement thing from compusa, so if i wanted to upgrade, i would only have to pay the difference. And Also, what settings in the router should i look for and change? Thanks for any input.

-SeanZ0r

your best bet is to simply buy a switch and hook that up to the router. i reccomend linksys, stay away from belkin. depending on the size/load of your network, you could get by with a much cheaper hub (smaller network, lighter loads means that a hub would be OK). you should be advised that hubs have no 'intellegence' (unlike the cpu found in a switch) and aren't so fast when under heavy loads from multiple computers.

i'd disconnect the internet before having people bring thier machines over, btw.

So just a basic switch? and i Just connect the switch from any upload port on my router, and use a patch cable right? Im sorry, if im asking too many Question's i just want this to work out, heh.

Unless your switch or router supports automatic MDI/MDI-X detection (most home equpment do), you have to connect the switch with a crossover cable. The switch may also have an "uplink" port that you can use with patch cable.

Code:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=294498&pfp=BROWSE
I think im going to buy that, damm, 30$, should i buy one of thoes 20$ generic ones? hmm, ill see. Also, i want to be able to access the internet on thoes comps that are on the switch, not just view eachother's files.

ahh, generic hardware is no good. but mabye i'm saying that because i can get quality stuff cheaply. if you really can't afford to get a linksys switch perhaps you can borrow or rent something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back