Networking Vista and XP computers together

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp_noob14

I have XP on my desktop and Vista on my Laptop and was trying to set up a home network. I ran the wizard on my XP computer and restarted. I am still unable to see the networks together on the computers Was curious if there was a compatibility issue between XP and vista that i would need to go around thanks.

Do you have DSL or Cable Modem?
Do you have Router?
Do you have a switch or hub?
Do you have crossover cables?

How do you have your network setup?
Are you using wireless laptop?
Are you using wired or wireless desktop?

If you try to connect to devices together without router or switch you need a crossover cable to connect the two. Just not plain patch panel cables.

sorry yes using a router both hard lined used the network wizard on xp and made sure the workgroups were the same cuz couldn't find a wizard in vista.

are you sharing any folders already? if you are not, try and share at least one folder on each computer and try again.

I think you misunderstood, what I mean is, have you setup any folders in any of the 2 computers as being shared (despite the fact you can not see the computers), I am running a network with XP pro, Media Center edition, windows Vista, win ME and win2000 without a problem.

oh yes they have shared folders setup by default got it figured out still can't see the computers but set them up so that the firewalls let the IP's talk to each other and have to \\192.168.X.XXX to them and now works fine. thanks for help

make sure you have both computer browsing and network connections enabled and started in the services. To get there click on start, then on run type: services.msc

Scroll down and look out for computer browsing and network connections started and enabled.

Make sure you have given your network a name: tom_network
Make sure you have given each PC a name: PC1: tom_netPC1, PC2: tom_netPC2.

Disable the firewalls for now and and disconnect the WAN from the router. YOu need to test your network internal first. Make sure both PCs can see each other. Transfer files to and from each other.

1. From PC1 ping PC2
2. From PC2 ping PC1
3. From either PC ping the Router

do this...

click on start
click on run
type: cmd
type: arp -a (do this on each PC) mike not work on some Vista OS though)
type: ipconfig /flushdns
type: nbtstat -r

Try going into the router Admin and see if it can detect both PCs? If it can't then there is a problem?

tried all of that already and still can't see the computers on the vista box can see the xp and vista computers on the xp network list but we got it working for the intent we want thanks tho

If you are using Windows XP Home, your support for Networking is very limited. You can only use File and Printer Sharing. Try making a Shared Folder on Vista and map the network drive on XP.

(map drive format: //computername/sharename)

If your Router is blocking any remote ports (RDC Ports) then unblock them as the File Sharing is used as a Remote Desktop Service on Vista.

No one has mentioned to check the firewall ports yet. If you have any firewall products installed, including Windows Firewall, make sure that the File and Printer Sharing ports are open. A lot of times, a firewall such as Norton or McAfee are the culprits when it comes to file and print sharing not working because, by default, these firewalls will generally block the necessary ports required for file sharing if they are installed before file sharing is enabled in the Windows environment.

How do I check the firewall ports in Windows Firewall? XP? Vista?
I'm having problems, too. New Vista Home Premium computer. Just now downloading MS updates.

If you are using Windows XP Home, your support for Networking is very limited. You can only use File and Printer Sharing. Try making a Shared Folder on Vista and map the network drive on XP.

(map drive format: //computername/sharename)

If your Router is blocking any remote ports (RDC Ports) then unblock them as the File Sharing is used as a Remote Desktop Service on Vista.

run->\\system\sharename my friend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back