Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredericklee

Hi
Don't know if I have post this thread in the correct section, correct me if I'm wrong.

OK, I have a pc and my system spec is stated below. I will be getting another set of pc from my sis and now here's what I'm going to do.

I like the 2 system to share a same modem with the same internet connection, what should I do and what other hardware should I get. As you can see, my system ADSL modem is link to my PCI ethernet card with only 1 output port from the modem and 1 input port to the ethernet card. (hope you get what I mean). how to have my two system share the same modem?

How do I get my new system to access to my mp3 folder in my current system?

How do I get my 2 system to share my printer.

ps: I have not got my new system yet. just thinking of what is the hardware needed and how to go about doing all the above things

Thanks

There are several home networking kits out there that come with everything you need to set up two PCs to share the same connection and resources. Most of them come with two network cards and a hub with four or more ports so you can add more machines later if you want. If you use Windows XP you can use Network Setup Wizard to easily set it up.

Just make sure you get one for your connection type.

The easy way is to buy a hub and plug everything in that. Use Windows' internet connection sharing, networked printing is pretty much built-in to Windows. The down side is that for internet connection, one computer will be 'master' and it must be turned on (and in Windows) for the 'slave' to have internet connection. You could also buy a very cheap rig, shove it under your bed and make it share the ADSL.

If your ISP won't charge too much, you can get another IP address and a hub will be all you need.

The more expensive/complicated way is to buy a router (or an old cheap computer with two NICs and Linux as a router), then both computers can have internet connection at the same time.

Look at this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back