Neverwinter crash problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon_Gold

Recently built a new PC. I have windows XP Home installed. When I am playing Neverwinter Nights, my PC just randomly reboots itself without warning. It has done this 3 times since I have played it (totalling 3 hours play), and one time a window appeared saying Neverwinter Nights had a problem and would have to be shut down. I don't know if this is a problem with the game (straight out of the box, no patches or anything) Windows, or my hardware. The only other game I have tried is UT2003. But I only played that for about 5 mins, so maybe there wasn't time for this prolem to arise.

Any ideas anyone?

System specs:

Athlon XP 3000+ (With Coolermaster Aero fan)
MSI K7N2 Delta
2x Crucial 512mb 184DIMM PC3200
PNY VERTO 5900FX 256 mb
Audigy 2
120GB HDD
Crappy old 300w PSU from my old PC (Could this be the problem?)

It sounds like it could be a problem with heat, causing your vid card to lock up. Make sure it is being cooled properly. I try to leave a PCI slot open right under my vid card for extra breathing room.

That power supply should be ok.

Does this happen at any certain point int he game? Like when it is trying to show something special. I am thinking it could also be your drivers for your vid card, or possibly directX, although NWN should work fine with DX8.

overheating id say...or voltage dips in ur PSU... or maybe looking again at your spec, your PSU's too small..

(great choices of games btw ;D )

You should definitely update your version with the latest fixes. Just select 'Update' from Neverwinter Nights Launcher.

!

Update NWN
Update DirectX
Update graphics and motherboard chipset drivers
After about half and hours solid play check the temperature of your graphics card (Display -> Properties -> Advanced -> GeForce FX 5900 Ultra -> Temperature settings (i think)
if the card is under 100 degress then the card isnt overheating - if the CPU is under 80 then that isnt overheating either
so my only guess is that is is ur PSU - my 300watt would not support my OLD machine (Thunderbird 1.0, KT133a mobo, 320meg ram, Ge3ti200 and Soundblaster1024) - took the sound card out and some of the ram and it worked fine - both the ram and the soundcard are fine - the PSU was just overloading
try this - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43170 should provide all the power u need

Steg

p.s. good choise of games - alone with warcraft III those are my favorite games!

Cheers for the help guys, I have just ordered the PSU Steg suggested, and I am looking forward to getting it all up and running! Just hope my system isn't out of date before Half Life 2 comes out!!!!!

The message "Neverwinter Nights had a problem and would have to be shut down" implies you had a software error of some kind. A new PSU will not fix this, but it certainly won't do any harm.

I just loaded Neverwinter NIghts after I upgraded my OS to XP Pro and the game plays fine for about 1 to 2 minutes while still in the game. Then the entire computer crashes, the screen freezes and I can't do anything and I have no idea why. A friend told me to post a thread here to see if anyone has any ideas as to my problem. I updated the game right after I installed it; I got all the patches

My computer is:

P3 800 Mhz
Asus CUSL2
2 sticks of PC133 256MB16
2 hard drives; 1 30gig 7200rpm and the other 120gig 7200 rpm
Brand New Radeon 9600 Pro
Creative Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
and a 300 watt Antec power supply.

Anyone have any ideas as to my plight, let me know at "daggerdx@earthlink.net"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back