New 17" Samsung 730B monitor 8ms, All writing looks wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirock

As the title says, my new LCD monitor just looks wrong when it comes to Text or anything to do with words. The games look great but text and lettering look grainy and course (almost out of focus too). I've tried adjusting the Fine and Sharp settings all the way to 100% and everything in between but no effect.

It gave me a headache the 1st hour I used it! I've set the screen res. to 1152X864 (as it was with my CRT monitor), anything below that looks ridiculous and anything higher looks all weird and stretched out.

I've never owned an LCD monitor before, but have worked on laptops at work and they look fine. Is there something wrong with mine? I really won't pay for an LCD monitor if this is how they are suppose to work, it's CRAP!

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Lcd's should only be run at the optimal resolution or else everything will look blurry/messed up.
It looks like you should have it set to 1280x1024 @ 60hz.

The native resolution of the SyncMaster 730B is 1280x1024 and text at that setting was extremely sharp and crisp. Using a non native resolution like 1024x768, dithering was alright although you probably wouldn't want to run the LCD at a non native resolution when working with 2D applications as there is a slight blurring effect. For gaming, the SyncMaster 730B produced an excellent image despite not using the native resolution.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1784&page=5

Ok, thanks I'll try that tonight when I get home. I had set it to 1280X1024 but it looked all skewed and didn't feel like playing with the monitor settings to adjust for it, but looks like I'll have to. I generally don't like 1280 because the icons get so darn small (even after setting it to 120pt), but that article does seem to suggest these LCDs like the native resolution.

Cheers,

kirock said:
Ok, thanks I'll try that tonight when I get home. I had set it to 1280X1024 but it looked all skewed and didn't feel like playing with the monitor settings to adjust for it, but looks like I'll have to. I generally don't like 1280 because the icons get so darn small (even after setting it to 120pt), but that article does seem to suggest these LCDs like the native resolution.

Cheers,

I think you had it set to 1280x960, which does look a little squished. :)

Have you tired Clear Type? Go to Display Properties/Appearance/Effects, and the second option, change it from standard to clear type and see if that helps.

Thank you everyone, I set the resolution to 1280X1024 with clear type "on" and it looks great! In fact in CS:S it had a video setting of the same with LCD designation beside which I set as well (doh missed that on Sunday). Actually the graphics on this thing is pretty good now. The 8ms refresh rate really does the trick.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back