new account from nowhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonBel

Recently I started getting errors or a notice when I tried to log off saying one or two users were still using my computer. I logged off anyway and found it difficult to log back on as I couldn't type in my password without re-booting. Also, my wireless mouse stopped scrolling and the left button did a "select all" instead of connecting to the link when I clicked on a page. Very weird.

Finally I noticed that a new account, ASP.NET, had been added to my computer! I do not network so no one can officially log on to my computer but me, however, it happened.

I ran HJT and found a huge number of files that I was directed to delete. I did. Then I checked my accounts and deleted the new account and all of its files.

I ran Adaware and found a few things and ran TrendMicro and found nothing but things have been fine since I deleted the strange new account.

But how did that new account get entered into my computer. No one has access to my machine but me. I had just installed Rhapsody from Comcast and Yahoo!launch which I know can be a problem. Could either of them have caused this mess?

I run WindowsXP Home on a Dell 8200.

Thanks, guys.

you will probably find it was a trojan of some kinda and the hacker made a nice account for himself or something along those lines. thats all i can think of...

It's probably not a hacked account - it's normal to see the ASP.NET account on an WinXP machine with .Net 1.1 update on it - you get this update if you run all the windows updates which you probably do if you're a good boy :)

While on the subject, what's the point for that .net stuff?
Sofar I have not installed it and have not come across anything that needs .net.
Another M$ trick to stuff more junk on a PC?

.NET applications are just now coming of age, I may have come across one or two.

I'd say .NET is the new Visual Basic runtime libraries. And surely you remember the days of installing those!

The description of the APS.NET Machine Account is "Account used for running the ASP.NET worker process (aspnet_wp.exe)"

But it's hard to say why you got the message.

LNCPapa said:
it's normal to see the ASP.NET account on an WinXP machine with .Net 1.1 update on it - you get this update if you run all the windows updates which you probably do if you're a good boy.
I update regularly, but only critical updates and I carefully choose optionals.
The result is there's no such account on my XP machine. :knock:

RealBlackStuff said:
While on the subject, what's the point for that .net stuff?
Sofar I have not installed it and have not come across anything that needs .net.
Another M$ trick to stuff more junk on a PC?
I agree :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back