New AGP card upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

einomida

1. Motherboard - ASRock P4i65G (1 Socket 478)
2. Graphic Interface - AGP 8x
3. Memory - 512MB
4. CPU - P4
5. CPU Speed - 2.8 Ghz
6. Power Supply Make/Model - ISO/ISO-450PP 4S (it`s the model No. on the Power Supply, don`t know if it helps)
7. Watt output/Amperage - +12V/16.0A although the power supply itself says max. 350W, the store where I got my computer from states max. 300W.

I want to have some more power to my machine so I thought of buying a new graphics card. Since I have AGP, I thought of 256MB Club 3D 7600GT AGP (maybe even x1950 pro AGP, but I guess it`s too much).
At the moment, I have Leadtek WinFast A310, I believe it was nVidia 5100 or something.

I could, however, afford a new PCI-E motherboard and PCI-E graphics card also, but I can`t change my 478 socket CPU.

So, I`m asking, is it possible, is it worth buying and which option would be best and will it run games like Neverwinter Nights 2?

Any help would be appreciated.

the agp version of the x1950pro is probably the best choice if it fits your budget.
Your psu will probably run ok, but i'd consider changing up to a min of 400w, just in case.
If you want more power (performance), add more ram in there too.
FWIW i don't think its worth changing the mobo to pci-e if you have to stay with 478 as you won't be future proofing it. Save the money until you can upgrade yoru cpu too. Then you CAN future proof your rig.
Good luck! :)

Thanks for the advice.
Yeah, I need some extra RAM too.
x1950pro would be better ofcourse, but 7600GT is much cheaper.
If nVidia can run games well, I`m going to get it, but if not, I might consider the x1950 instead.
And since my CPU isn´t the latest, x1950`s power might go to waste?
So what about games like F.E.A.R., S.T.L.K.E.R or Neverwinter Nights?

Neverwinter nights should be ok with the 7600GT.
But i think you'd struggle with FEAR and STALKER on anything but the lowest settings.
My 7900GS on a E6600 (core2duo) and 2Gb ram struggled a bit with STALKER.
It may be worth getting the much cheaper 7600GT, and then upgrading mobo, cpu, ram and gfx later on. But it may not be good enough for ALL your games. In fact i'm positive you'd don't have enough ram for FEAR or STALKER

Yeah, I`ll have to think about it.
Ah, I wanted to say Neverwinter Nights 2 not Neverwinter Nights, because I can play the first one on my current machine with ease.
I`ve tried to play STALKER on lowest settings, lags a bit, but can play.
OK, now I need to know how much power does 7600GT need and do I have to get a new PSU for that card as well.
x1950 wants at least 450W according to THIS

yeah the x1950 pro requires a power connection from the psu, so it needs to supply good clean power. As always, buy the best you can afford so you will not need to upgrade it again with the rest of the system if you buy the right one now.
What is you budget for new kit right now?

k.jacko said:
What is you budget for new kit right now?

I´m not sure since I live in Estonia.
It seems that prices here are higher (maybe not), but roughly I have 400$
ATI costs ~245$
nVidia ~180$
I just converted these numbers from currency values, but I guess they give some idea.
And new 450W PSU 90-110$

look around and find a good 400Wat PSU, they can be had cheap, and u will have a not bad computer. be sure the PSU has the right connections for your MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back