New Build: Mobo suggestions, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

I am planning a new build. This is going to take a while since I can only afford one major piece at a time, but I should like a decent set up which is vaguely "future proof".

I was thinking of basing this around the AMD (Venice) Athlon 64 3500+ 939 (unless anyone has any other suggestions!) I have about £140 (US$ 280) to spend on the CPU.

My main question is about a suitable mobo. Similar amount of cash to splash on that, and I was looking at the Abit Fatal1ty.

I don't do much gaming, but I should like the build to be "able".

Any suggestions would, as always, be gratefully received!

I just built a system with a Asus A8N-SLI deluxe mobo and AMD Athlon 3700 (939) cpu. I didn't build it as a gaming machine, but I'm definately happy with it's performance (also have a evga 7800GT). the mobo was well under $280, as was the cpu (and they're even cheaper now).

One warning against building in pieces...you may find yourself past the 30 day return period if you spread out the build. I built mine all at once for this reason...and with the no interest for 6 months at newegg, you can't lose. I don't know exactly what the return policies are at different stores, but you don't want to have to return a broken part that you just installed and find you are past warranty.

Good luck!

John

I recomend both the ASUS A8N-SLI and the ASUS A8N32-SLI. The 32 is much better though, and has better cooling. It's around $190. Pretty good bargin.

Oh one thing that I forgot to mention about the A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo is that you may have to be put on a waiting list to get one. I was on a waiting list for 2 months for it. I have it now though and it was worth the time.

I also have the A8N-SLI (deluxe), an Athlon64 3700+ and an asus 7800GT. Love it. Squeeze it. Bow down before it.

Abit AN8 Ultra would be less expensive than the Fatal1ty yet just as capable with some better options. I have the Reg. AN8 and love it. If you are into ATI cards like I am check out the At8. It is new but seems to be loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back