New build P4 Running Very Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help with a new build...I just installed a P4 630 on and ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe mobo. On first boot...no video. So I checked the processor by removing the fan and reseating it, same with memory and video card. On the next boot, I was successful in entering the bios etc. However, the bios processor temp reading was up to 89 degrees C. and eventually I got some type of CPU temp. error/warning! Intel says once you removed the Fan, you have to get it replaced because you "disturb" the thermal grease. Is this true and any suggestions on how I should proceed?

P4 630
Tsunami Dream Tower
Antec TruePower II 430W
ASUS p5ld2 deluxe mobo
Seagate 160GB
ASUS combo drive
ASUS video card 128

Hi
If you had installed the hsf as it should have been and it ran this hot, I would say a better hsf is in order. You could also try some artic silver hsf grease to better cool the original heat sink. One should first remove all traces of old hsf grease or pad before using new grease.

:chef:

sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I would use Artic silver thermal grease and a better fan than stock. Try Thermaltake - they make some very good fans. Others have used Zalman.

P4 Running HOT

I feel like the Intel fan is adequate for now. This is my first build, yet overall the system is rather basic. Do you think the best bet is to get some quality compound, remove the fan and try it again? My fear is that if I keep testing it I will fry the CPU. Won't the mobo shut it down if it gets too hot?
THANKS

Hi
For some time now Intel has built in the ability to shut down in case of overtemp in their cpus.
I suppose one could run one sans hsf and it would live, but I am not going to be the guinea-pig. If the hsf came with that specific cpu, it should be more than adequate. The newer Intel cpus run hot, as opposed to, say, an earlier Northwood core, and yours is no different. In such case I wonder if a case ventilation problem is at work here, or perhaps the psu is weak. Dunno.

I do feel that using a 3rd party hsf grease is in order, just be sure to follow the maker's instructions. This should allow you to use the stock hsf with slightly better cooling results.

without knowing what motherboard you use, I wouldn't know if it has a thermal shutdown. Most do now, but I wouldn't rely on it as a safety.

A better fan is your best bet.

I know the stock intel fans are kind of tricky to get seated correctly, sometimes they look and feel like they are seated right but they aren't, try reseating the heatsink.

DX1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back