New Build Problems - Possible Faulty Motherboard or Something Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidelus28

Hi,

I just recently put together a new system, with the core components been a GA-p35-DS3 Motherboard from Gigabyte, and the new E8400 Wolfdale CPU's. Other components included:
2GB of Corsair Dual Channel Memory
XFX 8600GTS Graphics Card
550W Coolermaster PSU
Thermaltake Soprano DX Case
Hard Disk, etc.

Now, the problem was, everything connected but nothing would start, not make a sound, nor even flicker a lil light. Once we did manage to get it to work it was found that the CPU fan would not start immediatly, rather there was a delay from 4-7 seconds.
After some investigating, it was found that the CPU fan delay problem was fixed by moving the connector from CPU_FAN to the SYS_FAN1 port on the mobo. Furthermore, the not-starting-at-all-issue was fixed by simply not including the sound AC-97 or optional HD, from the case (external connection for headphones, etc), onto the motherboard. It appeared that it had an effect similar to short-circuiting the whole thing.
Thus, after these two issues were resolved (ie, change of port and excluding sound) the system ran fine, and has been doing so as i install everything.

The question i wanted to ask was:
Are these problems because of a faulty motherboard (fingers crossed its not), and if so, can the faultiness further affect the remainder of my components within time?
OR
Are these problems because of potential incompatibility with the board and the E8400 (as i've heard some gossip) and requires a BIOS update? If so, where can such a thing be found?

I thank you for any help in advance as this problem has been worrying me sick. A lot of money for a new system that i definitely don't want KAPUT.

Thanks.

A BIOS update would be available on the Gigabyte website.
But IMO, RMAing the motherboard would be better in case you encounter further problems.

The CPU fan thing is normal on the DS3. It's because it's temperature controlled and the CPU isn't getting hot enough for the fan to spin until after 2-10 seconds. I think you can disable the fan control in BIOS, but I don't see why you would. :)

As for the other problem, I don't know. Sorry.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
A BIOS update would be available on the Gigabyte website.
But IMO, RMAing the motherboard would be better in case you encounter further problems.

Q - What is RMAing the motherboard?

Madmanden said:
The CPU fan thing is normal on the DS3. It's because it's temperature controlled and the CPU isn't getting hot enough for the fan to spin until after 2-10 seconds. I think you can disable the fan control in BIOS, but I don't see why you would. :)

As for the other problem, I don't know. Sorry.

So, it is not a faulty mobo if there's a delay? The only weird thing is that when I changed the port to SYS_FAN1 it instantly starts - is that how things are meant to go?

The sys_fan1 doesn't control the fan, it just gives a constant voltage so the fan spins at the same speed all the time. The cpu_fan controls the fan depending on the temperature. So when the fan doesn't need to spin fast, it won't, and when it gets hot, the fan spins faster (and louder). It's not a fault, it's a feature. Use it. :)

So to recap: Put the fan back at CPU_fan and be happy.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard (see my System Specs) and the fan behavior as explained by Madmanden is correct. I also have the fan delay you speak of. The fan will take slightly longer to start up when it's cold in winter than on a hot summer day. It's not a problem so no need to fret about it.

I'm sorry, but I didn't really understand that part of the problem. What did you connect? I didn't connect anything to my motherboard.

i think the issues that you are having are problems which are going to lead to a faulty mobo soon enough because the attemps that you have made to make the system work are not really normal i would not advise keeping it that way. I wud personally get a rma done just for piece of mind.

Thank You - Other issue...

Madmanden said:
I disagree. I don't think you need to worry about it if it runs fine now.

Thank you for the help - everyone. :p
The CPU plug will be reconnected to its original home.
The other issue i had was actually relating to the external connections on my case - Soprano DX by Thermaltake. All the external USB port connections and headphone jack connections do not work. I'm pretty sure the USB connectors are plugged into the right ports on the mobo, and the audio too. The USB isn't a major hassle, but if the audio plug is in then the computer won't even start - not a trace of life. Note: This is only the audio and usb from the case - not the normal built on sound from the motherboard - that all works. This leads me to wonder whether this is because the case connection things are faulty or perhaps i need to install some form of driver i don't know about.

Thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back