Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently assembled a new computer:

MB: Asus P5LD2
CPU: Pentium 4 530
RAM: Corsair VS2GBKIT533D2 2GB Kit
VGA: MSI 6600GT
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9

I've doublechecked to make sure everything is hooked together right, but the computer keeps hanging during the bootup process when I turn it on. After hitting the "Del" key to enter BIOS Setup, the American Megatrends screen pops up and the last line that is printed on the screen is "Initializing USB Controllers .."

I've got a Ubuntu install disc in the drive and the system's not recognizing it (I think I have to change the boot order, but can't do that bc/ I can't get into the BIOS setup).

The only things plugged in are the power, the VGA cord, and the keyboard. I would appreciate any help.

You can try resetting the BIOS, which usually involves setting a jumper on the motherboard. Check the board's user manual for the information you need.

Checking the reset jumper might show that it is set to reset the BIOS instead of to leave it alone. The jumper might have been put across the reset pins by mistake.

You should be able to flash the BIOS with the latest update from the asus.com site for that model of board by making use of a floppy disk. You can get the details and the files from asus.com.

If necessary, read these pages on the BIOS:

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/BIOS.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back