New Build: suggestions for graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

OK, the new build is progressing as in terms of parts. I have an Athlon 64 Venice, and A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo. Thoughts are now on which graphics card. I have thought about:

Gainward 6600 GT 256 MB ULTRA
XFX Geforce 6800XTreme Edition 256mb

Thing is, there are loads out there, but most of the PCI versions only seem to come at 128mb.

Any comments/suggestions/additions would be very welcome. I tend to prefer nVidia over Radeon, but am open to advice! I have around £100 ($200 US) to spare.

Thanks chaps! :D

Oh yeah, got a Tsunami Dream case donated by a very kind bro!

The 6800GS and the 6800GT (PCIe versions) are sitting in about your price range I believe. The GS tends to have a better price tag, and about the same performance.

Let me change my advice above.

The 7600GT has been released, is the same price and WAY more powerful. That's the card you should be looking at. Sweet little card by the looks of it.

See, this is why it is so damned confusing! You make what (you think) is an informed choice, and a couple of days later, some other, rather better card shows up!

Thanks DonNaguel: I shall keep me eyes out!

It is the nature of the beast. If you ended up purchasing a 6800 series card, I am sure you'll be quite pleased with it ;)

Hmmm, just had a look at a few reviews for the XFX 7600GT XT Edition 256MB, and it does look good.

Tis just under £150 ($300US). Not sure if I can shell out the extra ackers, but it is tempting.......

Look at 7900GT as well, that shouldn't be a whole lot more then the 7600, and it's hella fast I'm sure.

josbd said:
You guys are intent on making me skint, aren't you?? :haha:
No no, if we were intent on that, we'd go for the 7900GTX OC in SLI, w/ FX-60

Seriously, look at the 7900GT, it IS more, but it's the best bang for your buck on the market at the moment

Really though, the 7600 has plenty of power for most people. And if you don't have loads of money, it's the perfect card.

In all seriousness, I think it will end up being the 7600, simply because anything else would be wasted on me. That and the cash scenario makes me feel like bein utterly sensible for once!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back