Not open for further replies.

josbd

System comprises:

Gigabyte K8VT800
Sempron 3100
1 gig RAM
250 Seagate
etc

ok, briefly, built system, went to fire it up, it powers up throughout, but nothing. It does not boot, and there are no beep sounds.

I put in a pc analyzer card, which, with nothing external plugged in shows 00 (award bios), but when I plug in anything such as mouse, keyboard, screen etc shows 04, which translates as "Test Memory Refresh Toggle". I have tried removing the graphics card, resetting the bios, removing batt etc.

Can anyone please shed any light on this please?

Many thanks chaps!

possible causes:

1. motherboard short circuit -->make sure that you used standoffs and that myou only used them where there is a corresponding mounting hole on the mobo. if the mounting hole doesn't have a metal ring around it, either don't use it or use a plastic standoff instead.

2. bad or insufficient power supply unit -->what brand and model is your PSU? how many amps can it provide on the +12v rail? Cheap/generic PSUs often cannot provide stable voltages or enough power (total wattage doesn't matter, on modern systems the +12v amperage is the major factor) also, make sure that you have both the 20/24 pin ATX power connector and the 4 pin 12v ATX power connector plugged into the mobo

3. damaged, incompatible, or improperly installed RAM -->remove and re-seat with only 1 RAM stick, test each stick separate and test in each slot

3. damaged, incompatible, or improperly installed video card -->remove and re-seat video card. also you did not list your video card in your specs, what do you have?

4. damaged or defective motherboard -->unlikely cause, assume only if above components proper working order and compatibility have been verified

5. damaged or defective CPU -->unlikely cause, assume only if above components proper working order and compatibility have been verified

Sorry, I should have given you full details:

GeForce XFX5500
Casecom 500watt psu

ok, shall check out each suggestion, and very many thanks indeed!

Thanks Tedster.

Have decided that the mobo is DOA, and am returning it to ebuyer.

Thanks very much indeed for the help and advice. I really do appreciate it.

yeah make sure u get no shorts and make sure ur standoff are levels. DONT DO LIKE I DID TAKE UR TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back