New build win98 prob: cant reccognize dvd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Row1

Hello- I am building a new computer for my father. He has Win XP upgrade, and Win98 full. I am getting a POST beep, the comp is reading the floppy drive and DVD drive, and starting the Win loading routine off of the Win98 boot floppy. The Win98 boot floppy is loading the "ASPI CD ROM drivers for DOS."

BUT - when I hit "1" to select loading Win98 off the cd, it says, "The Windows 98 Setup Files were not found."

Whats' the problem? It can't read/operate the Asus DVD drive with the cd drivers it is using? Any other ideas?

I could get a CD drive in place of the DVD, but I want everything to work with the DVD, so if I have to backtrack in the future, I don't have to be swapping the CD for the DVD. Any ideas? -Row1

Ignore this post.

I think you need a W98 System Floppy and set bios Boot Sequence to A C
Put in Floppy and disc and restart.
The Floppy does the preperation like Formating (Primary Master)
and partitioning first.
Have the CD in the drive ready when asked for it to continue.
Do you need a W98 Boot Floppy.I can send the files to put on a Floppy.
You must follow this process for W95 and W98 amd Wme.
XP has made this easier.

I read the ? wrong,sorry about that.

? i think i have win98 system boot already, but...

? i think i have win98 system boot already, but...yes please email me the files. i will put them on a floppy and try this routine.
i think the boot order is already a then c but i will double check.

please give me a pm so you can get my email. -row1

u can just put the XP upgrade cd in the disk and install straight from it with no upgrade if u have all the XP drivers, of course to do this the cd or dvd has to be the first boot.

OK I will try this - I hope it works.

nickc said:
u can just put the XP upgrade cd in the disk and install straight from it with no upgrade if u have all the XP drivers, of course to do this the cd or dvd has to be the first boot.

Row1 said:

Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachment errror,
==============
Your file of 606.5 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 100.0 KB for this filetype.
Now what ?

thx everyone-

hey thx - i followed the suggestion to set cdrom as boot disc [in bios], then insert win cd, then turn off then back on.
went fine after that.
system boots to being ready in less than 25 secs. nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back