new card, maybe 7600GS, but what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwillis

I just determined that my 6600GT is gonna kick the bucket real soon, and it pretty much already has anyway. I need a new card that will play FEAR, FSX, etc to a reasonable degree of prettyfulness. The 6600GT was great, played everything as well as I wanted, but now that I'm gonna have to buy a new card I figured I might as well upgrade, if not that drastically, because I'd really like to spend ~$120 or less. I had my eyes on the 7600GS 256 AGP, but I cant decide which make to get. Any ideas? BTW:my last card was an ASUS, and its dead now, so, does that mean I shouldnt trust another ASUS card?

Thanks.

DEAD 6600GT 128
WinXP HomeSP2
VIA k8t800
Athlon64 3200+ 2.0ghz
1gig ram

It's all personal preference for brands; both of my nVidia cards have been eVGA...but that's a coincedence ;) . The best card that's on agp isn't out yet...the Radeon X1950. The 7600GS is good for moderate gaming, and will be able to play FEAR on medium-high settings w/o soft shadows or whatever that feature is :mad: . Just make sure your power supply is powerful enough.

Oh yeah, I've got a 350W PSU.

How powerful is powerful enough?
Someone on another forum said he recommended no less than 450W just for a 6600gt, which seemed absurd.

Look at my guide in my signature and find out how many amps you have on the +12V Rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back