New Career?

Hi guys im new and im looking for a career change to IT. But im confused as to which course to go for i like the sound of network support and have heard alot about it, any ideas? also any1 heard of UKITtraining.com? They offering a training course to MCSA/E level ...Is that any good? Is there any horror stories about them?

It all depends on what areas of I.T interest you the most I guess ...

MCSE is a good path to take for the Networking type, and I find it the most challenging area of I.T! So much involved when you get into the nuts and bolts of DNS, but so beneficial!

Whatever part of I.T interests you the most, run with that ... :grinthumb

Personally I strongly recommend against it. The field is super-saturated and there is no job security whatsoever.

The market here in the states is poor, having the certs will not help you get a job here. Experience out ways the certs.

1. How would you solve a network problem?
2. What steps did you take to solve the problem?
3. How did this problem start?
4. Etc..

Basic Level 1 to 3
Don't go into IT Helpdesk worst job on the planet 100% phone chatting to same users all day and week long
Don't go into IT Desktop no better you have to lift 70lbs or more carrying PC 21" CRT up and down 3 flights of stairs

Networking has many levels
IT Security is okay if you know Active Directory
IT Network Cable Installer (not a great job)
IT Network CISCO Engineer might pay the bills
IT Network Design Engineer pays good but hard to get
IT Network OPs long hours mostly 2nd, 3rd shift work ouch!

Management
IT Project Coordinator pays $45 to $50 an hour expect to do the work of a Project Manager for less money!
IT Project Manager pays $70 to $80 an hour expect to work more than 60hrs a week (give you soul to your project)
IT Director over $120,000 a year , don't see what they really do all day always in meetings..

Back