New Chipsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkedKube

Anyone have information or some threads of a timeline of new hardware for Intel based pc's. Wondering when the new boards will drop with 16Gigs ram support and all that stuff we so much love.

Some of the reviews for some are out now... but methinks it is very unwise to buy anyboard that has less than 90 days of miles on it, unless you want to be the quality control guy for Intel, Asus, and Gigabyte.
But the only official board is the Extreme with 8 GB, and it looks like that will be the case until August or September.

That is, there will be lots of talk, and a few reviews, but it appears they are spending all their time on the processors right now... when they get caught up, the boards with additional memory will be easy... the trick is getting the memory producers off the stick with the high speed modules.

I've got 2gb, and its already too much for my games. And I play the very latest these days....

That's because you haven't disabled the auto destruct sequencing program! Do that and you can run it using only 30 or 31gigs.

There's also some info on the P35 and G33 Bear Lake chipsets here.

No, I disabled the auto destruct sequencing program, i just haven't removed the "steal all of Apples/linux's features" patch yet.

The widgets are screaming no.

Isn't Vista's recommended min RAM at 512Gb?

And I think for Aero, you need at least an E64200 which runs at 2.13Thz. Make sure you're running your comp with an Antec 550kW PSU....

Yes, but everybody knows you need as least 1 GB for normal performance... if you are using a music player, photo editor, or any other software that requires memory. In a computer with onboard video, your motherboard is using at least 64 mb just to run the video graphics port.. reducing your available memory by 64 mb to 128 mb.
Anything else that is integrated into the motherboard will also use some of that 512 mb of memory.

Lawl... you gotta get your glasses checked. I was just responding to the 3 posts before....

You'd notice plenty of "typos" in that post you just "corrected".

Back on track, has anybody seen the prices for the DDR3 yet? One site was quoting $400-$500 preorder price for 2 gig DC sets! Ouch! The article I linked to earlier was covering some of the new P35 boards.
Already, Intel's OEM partners are readying motherboard products for shipment, including boards using DDR3 memory. We currently have two Gigabyte motherboards and two ASUS products. Three of them, the Gigabyte P35-DQ6, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, and ASUS P5K Deluxe use current generation DDR2 modules while the ASUS P5K3 Deluxe supports DDR3.
Pretty thorough article with architecture diagrams and pics of the new boards. Decent read.

Yeah to order DDR3 though your board needs to support it. Are these chips 240pin? If so, can anyone say "bios updates needed" If they are any larger than that then I'll keep my G skills

I love it, because DDR2 is becoming as cheap as dirt. You can now pick up 2 GB of quality OZC for $70

Ya 240 pin. Here's one pre-order ad for some Kingston Hyper-X
I love it, because DDR2 is becoming as cheap as dirt. You can now pick up 2 GB of quality OZC for $70
Same with the CPU's An E6600 is $20 less than I paid for my E6400 a couple months ago

Oh god that's awesome, but I have bad history with kingston. Although they have good reviews. I"m an avid overclocker so I need something that can take my bad habits on, lol.

It won't matter for long. Usually the prices drop dramatically after four months... But have you seen the prices on old PC133 laptop memory? Or DDR PC3200... that is where the prices go up to astonishing levels when the new stuff comes out.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a Geil fanboy myself. I've been waiting for their Black Dragon Gaming memory to come out. I see they are going to be offering an 8GB quad channel DDR2 package soon. I may have to sell the house! LOL I took a peak over at Team Xtreem but they don't say anything about having any DDR3 coming.

Uhmm... the DDR3 may be 240pin, but the notch is located differently. You CANNOT reuse DDR2 on DDR3 hardware. I'm quite certain of it, you'll find them mentioning it somewhere or another.

I won't be in a hurry to upgrade to DDR3 though, the performance increase is marginal.... mainly because of the latency.... 7!!! They've proven that these new chipsets don't perform much better than current chipsets on normal DDR3 RAM if I'm right....

different story when overclocking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back