New Comp built- first time- overheating quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHausma2002

Hey all, having some problems here. First off, I just built my first new comp, Asus P4P800, P4 2.6, both have 800fsb.

Anyways, the processor had thermal pads installed so I didnt put any paste on. I have Asus PC Probe running, and my idle temp is around 30-40 degrees, which I think is ok.

However, after a little bit of gaming, or immediatly after starting PC Mark 2003, it jumps way up past 80degrees and crashes. Whats going on here? Why cant I run PC Mark. Any ideas?

Are you sure you've put on the HSF correctly?

If so, take it off, scrape off the thermal pad, clean with alcohol and put on some thermal paste... It conducts heat much better than any pad...

Heh

Solved it, thanks, apparently I didnt have it seated correctly like you said because it was a bit loose, and when the comp was in its regular standing position it wasnt making full contact with the CPU. Now it is and I've run PC Mark just fine. Thanks!

Originally posted by JHausma2002
Hey all, having some problems here. First off, I just built my first new comp, Asus P4P800, P4 2.6, both have 800fsb.

Anyways, the processor had thermal pads installed so I didnt put any paste on. I have Asus PC Probe running, and my idle temp is around 30-40 degrees, which I think is ok.

However, after a little bit of gaming, or immediatly after starting PC Mark 2003, it jumps way up past 80degrees and crashes. Whats going on here? Why cant I run PC Mark. Any ideas?
whew... that is pretty toasty! glad to hear you got it fixed so quickly, don't want to ruin a nice new cpu like that.

I had a similar experience where I didn't seed my HSF right (the copper core wasn't over the CPU because I put the heatsink on backwards... Thank goodness the mobo protection kept shutting my comp down, otherwise that woulda been money down the drain.

Congrats on building your first computer, you where very lucky not to have fried your cpu. at least you did not have to learn the hard way. You will double check next time you build one I bet ;)

Originally posted by Shiney
Congrats on building your first computer, you where very lucky not to have fried your cpu. at least you did not have to learn the hard way. You will double check next time you build one I bet ;)
i had a buddy that put his cpu in sideways (as in rotated 90 degrees) the first time. the smell alerted him to a problem... and the pins don't line up i dont know how he managed either. and even with some blackening the cpu still ran just fine, once i said, hey, you put in on wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back