New Computer Build Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxracer15

Im building a new gamming computer for my friend his bugest is 2000 give or take a few hundred. Here is what i have so far...

Case- Thermaltake Tsunami ATX Mid Tower
Motherboard- MSI RD480 Neo2-FI Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 ATX AMD
Video Card- SAPPHIRE 100134 Radeon X1800XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
PS- ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W
Processor- AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core
RAM- CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System
Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150
Mouse- Logitech G5 Laser
DVD- SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM
DVD Burner- SONY Black IDE DVD Burner

Total: 2252 All at Newegg

Please tell me if you have any suggestions on changing anything :)

read this

I will not be the only one to advise you thusly: read this article/list concerning PSU's.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566.

Also, there are many quality combo DVD R RW CD R RW's out there. Might save some money and a drive bay. Also- I have read some not too good things about Sony optical drives and support lately. Can't remember where, but it was recent. I've never owned one, just for what it's worth. :)

I'd agree with hewybo on the PSU. Drop the aspire and get an enermax/fortron or some other high quality PSU. Watch for the amps on your 12v rail, try and stay above 24amps, ideally in the 30+ range as you are dual core plus a high end graphics card.

As for the X1800XT, well.... I'd probably do what SCHUMIinSA says as well, but really, the X1800XT is an AMAZING card. It is like someone saying they are going to buy a ferrari and another saying "no way man, get a porche". They are both amazing cars.

Sure one is a little faster but common, fast is fast.

Actually if we are going to be comparing cars to graphics cards now then it's more like someone desciding to buy a Lamborghini Mucielago (Can't say Porsche they are very reliable which ATI is not completely) but he has enough money to buy a Ferrari Enzo or Bugatti Veyron which are both some of the best and fastest cars in the world.
Sorry but I had to say that.

Look at reviews the 7800GTX 512MB beats the X1800XT 512MB in more games than the X1800XT beats the 7800GTX (Which is like one or two). The 7800GTX is currently the best single card in the world. Why are you desciding to go only for second best?

I would be inclined to agree with everyone, while the x1800 is an amazing card, the geforce 7800gtx would be the better way to go. Especially if you want to use the SLI function. However if you don't have the cpu power for it then don't bother. It reduces the quality of your video (or so I have heard)

a raptor 2 74gb would look good and be a good match for that system, if you wait about 2 weeks the x1900xt\xl\xtpe will be comming out whitch may mean price drops

maybe you could get a different motherboard that supports 240 pin DDR2 RAM since they go at 667 Mhz. raptor 10,000's are good HDD too

SCHUMIinSA said:

:grinthumb loved it!

Hey I am agreeing completely. I myself went with the 7800 lineup for my system for exactly that reason. It is the fastest.

Before that, I had the 6800GT. So on F.E.A.R. I went from having the settings on FULL with great framerates, to having the settings on full with great framerates.... I don't notice the difference and I highly doubt anyone would notice the difference between a X1800XT and a 7800GTX except on the benchmark points.

All I am saying is, a FAST card is a FAST card. If someone got that X1800XT they will be extremely happy. Me? I'd get the 7800GTX of course. If anyone asks me for my opinion on what they should get? Nvidia. If someone doesn't listen and goes for ATI I have no problem with that. Still great cards.

Thanks for all the feedback, I know that the 7800gtx 512 is a better card but it wont fit in the budget im trying to make so ill just have to go with the 1800xt and yes i plan to order teh comp. after the 1900xt is released hoping for some price drops. I will definatly look into a diff psu i just kinda threw that in there. And about the raptors once again it wont fit into the buget i really dont want to go over 2200.

Thanks again for all the info :grinthumb :grinthumb

SCHUMIinSA said:
Actually if we are going to be comparing cars to graphics cards now then it's more like someone desciding to buy a Lamborghini Mucielago (Can't say Porsche they are very reliable which ATI is not completely) but he has enough money to buy a Ferrari Enzo or Bugatti Veyron which are both some of the best and fastest cars in the world.

Look at reviews the 7800GTX 512MB beats the X1800XT 512MB in more games than the X1800XT beats the 7800GTX (Which is like one or two). The 7800GTX is currently the best single card in the world. Why are you desciding to go only for second best?

First of all latest ATI card are very reliable. I suggest if you are going to make such bold claims at least show some proof of how ATI is not realiable and nVidia is.

Second, the 512 GTX is either not in stock or extremely expensive, even compared to a x1800. And the x1800 is a supreme performer in high quality modes, an area where nVidia seems to be lacking. It comes down to choice, like the anti-alias + HDR mode in far cry with the x1800(gtx can't do that). Just saying dont count ATI out just based on benchmarks.

Third, I would get neither. Hold on like a week, and x1800 prices should be lowering when the x1900 comes out. If it performs bettern than the gtx 512, it also might end up a little cheaper.

Maybe i should sacrafice the fx60 and replace it with a 4800 so that i will have more room to spend on other stuff like a psu, hard drives, etc.? :confused:

And does anyone know about that motherboard i chose??\

An FX-57 will give u screaming performance, unless u really want a dual-core processor. Also, an X1800XT will give u good performance if u turn up all the graphics options in the game ur playing coz I've seen it perform better than a 7800GTX with all the gfx options cranked up. After all, who wouldn't want to play BF2 at full detail? ;)

ok, for the hd, why is it that the 3.0 gb/s sata version of the drive you have listed is a bit cheaper than the sata 150 on newegg? Isn't it faster? Am I missing something?

sjps220 said:
ok, for the hd, why is it that the 3.0 gb/s sata version of the drive you have listed is a bit cheaper than the sata 150 on newegg? Isn't it faster? Am I missing something?

The 3.0 gb/s is the maximum possible bandwidth with the new sata standard, it has nothing to do with the real performance of the hard drive.

For example, the WD Raptor line still uses the old 1.5Gb/s interface, and it's one of the fastest drives on the market. Even the 1.5Gb/s is a lot, what I mean by this is that no hard drive currently available reaches that speed, not even as a peak.

Nothing is that simple in computer hardware...

Edit: Added clarity.

SCHUMIinSA said:

Maybe there are people like me who are not necessarily fanboys, but who live in canada and therefore want the canadian based company because we are patriotic ;) Also, ATI cards are known for providing better image quality and have less performance decrease when using AA and AF.

man forget about the 7800gtx, get that new x1900xt, dont bother with the xtx its just an overclocked version of the xt. its THE best video card on the market, thats right i said it. ati is the king again, and its about time.

Yes, ATI is once again king of the hill, and it seems to be an available product. It was on the stores days before we had a review on the net, quite amazing.

However, I think the potential of this card will be seen in future games, becouse of its big ALU to Texture ratio. So maybe if nVidia releases a g71 soon with a more traditional architecture the x1900 won't look that good on current games.

That said this new ATI architecture looks more future proof than anything on the nVidia camp. Either way I can't afford top of the line card ATM.

compres

If anyone even remotely cares.....

The 74GB raptors don't support NCQ, at least they didn't. You might have to buy the 150s.

bhzrd4 said:
check out the first sample build on this site www.how2buildapc.com its a sick system and is well in your budget you can check the site for other information about building PCs.
Nice rig there. But why $200 for two 7600gt's when a $200 card will out perform them with out going SLi? 7600gt Sli is about like a single 7900gt. A x1950pro can be had under $160.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back