New Computer doesn't want to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided to build my first PC and when I put it together according to the manuals it turned on but there was nothing happening at the Monitor (Light was still orange).

I bought an Abit NF7S-2G Motherboard, An AMD 2800 CPU (Barton Core) ,an ASUS A9550GE 256Mb video Card and I have a 120 Gb Western Digital hard drive.
Could some one tell me if these parts are compatable

is the system powering up? ie; fans spinning etc? make sure that the ram and the video card are fully seated. also check the bios and make sure that the video is set to AGP not PCI.

The components listed are compatible. Abit is a good choice (well, one I like) and there should not be any issues as long as you build it all properly. iss is right about RAM and graphics card. Be careful not to cause static discharge. Components are quite fragile. So avoid fabrics, carpets etc. Wear anti-static wrist wrap if you have one.

iss said:
is the system powering up? ie; fans spinning etc? make sure that the ram and the video card are fully seated. also check the bios and make sure that the video is set to AGP not PCI.

When I turn the computer on the fans on the CPU and the Graphics card are spinning and I can hear the Hard drive spinning also. There are 2 status indicator leds are lit up when powered on. The cd burner is working ie lights up and opens and closes. The 2 cooling fans are working. how do i check the setting for AGP?

You need to start isolating things by removing components.

Unplug all the drives by unplugging the drive cables from the motherboard. You should also try plugging in only the Power Switch and Speaker leads to the mainboard as having the reset or possible sleep/hibernate cables mixed up can cause a machine to sit there basically dead in some cases.

Also, try powering up with the pc speaker hooked up correctly and without the videocard. This should give a series of BIOS beeps (display I/O region empty). Also try memory in different arrangements to try and rule out a bad stick of memory or incorrect placement of memory. Memory that isn't seated properly is a common thing as well.

I have removed the IDE drive cables,the video card(fisrt time it was in then removed) and the front panel cables (reset, hdd led power led) except for speaker and pwr. When I turn it on there is no sound coming from the speaker(No beeping).At the moment I only have 1 memory stick Kingston 400 pc3200 512Mb, but am hoping to get another in a couple of days.
Thanks guys for the help so far.

Do you know what bios the board is? (can you find the bios number on a sticker on your mobo?)

It may be that it has an older bios that doesn't like the ram you are sticking in there. Do you have some other ram you can try? If it'll let you boot up into bios, you could update your bios so the kingston would work (if this is the problem).

You could also try sticking the ram in different slots.

No beeps is USUALLY a ram issue.

I hope this is the bios.there is a chip with a sticker and written on it is Phoenix bios ,D686, phoenix 1998, 197368279.

If this is not the place could you guide me as to where to look and what the number is supposed to look like as I am new at doing all this kind of things.

DonNagual said:
Do you know what bios the board is? (can you find the bios number on a sticker on your mobo?)

It may be that it has an older bios that doesn't like the ram you are sticking in there. Do you have some other ram you can try? If it'll let you boot up into bios, you could update your bios so the kingston would work (if this is the problem).

You could also try sticking the ram in different slots.

No beeps is USUALLY a ram issue.
just thought of another thing when I put the Ram in it was a bit tight not like it says on the instructions which say it should go in without any problems.

hehe yes they all say that...but in all of my builds i usually push the RAM in with a bit of....pressure shall we say...i mean...c'mon, RAM doesn't exactly slide in easily, and it's only a bit harder to push than a PCI-E or AGP card.

Memory going into "Virgin" slots will often times need a bit more force, but they should seat solidly/firmly if they're in right.

If with no videocard you get no beeps (and there is no integrated/on-board video), this is a problem. You should perform the following two steps:

1) Remove/reseat and (re-apply thermal paste) to the CPU. Inspect the bottom for any bent or broken pins.

2) Locate the CLEAR CMOS jumper on the mainboard and refer to the manual for the process to do this. You want to wipe the CMOS completely, which needs a jumper and some form of powering up/down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back