New Computer, EA Games, BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently built a new computer with the following specifications:

ECS NF650iSLIT-A LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor
GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
GeIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2

(Here's all the parts I bought off of Newegg)

I had no problems assembling the computer or installing anything. In the begging I even ran every game I installed fine (TES IV: Oblivion, F.E.A.R, Civ IV, Doom 3, to name a few). However, when I installed Battlefield 2 and completely updated it I got a BSOD. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game without any patches and it still blue screened. I just chalked it up to bad drivers, since the video card was new and I had heard complaints of crappy drivers. However, a month or so down the road and it still doesn't work and since I've tried installing other EA games (LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth, C&C Generals) and these give me the exact same BSOD. I tried everything recommended by these forums (updated all drivers, all latest Windows updates, latest BIOS, memtest, chkdsk, etc.) and nothing worked. However, researching the problem, I would guess the problem would be my PSU. It was the only thing I skimped on at all. Though, I would like to be sure this is the problem before I drop another $100+ on a new one. Thanks for any help guys.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

All your minidumps crash at intelppm.sys. This is your cpu driver. They all have a bugcheck of 9C.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

If you are overclocking your cpu, reset it to the default settings. Check for overheating.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Ok, thanks. I checked the temperature and it seemed to be ok. Though, in Everest, for my PSU, the +12V rail is only reporting 9.61V which seems awfully low to me. Does this confirm what I thought, and that it was the PSU, or is there something wrong with my processor? Thanks again for your help.

Yes, I think you`ve found the culprit, namely the psu.

I advise replacing it with a quality psu asap, before it fails altogether and fries your valuable components.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back