New computer not working like it should

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sketch Meister

Alright, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but here it goes:

I recently purchased and put together a computer. I have noticed that it doesnt run as well as I think it should. It doesnt seem to just...well, run as smooth as it should. When i first built it, it ran beautifully! But now, when i run Oblivion, Battlefield, or even counter strike, I lag and hitch every few seconds. Oblivion is the worst though (obviously). I hear this gurgling sound and it stops for a second then catches up. I dont know what the deal is. I have scanned many times with Avast and WebRoot spy sweeper, but have found nothing. I am considering reformatting so that I can see if it still does work really well with nothing installed. I installed 3D mark06 and out of 12 systems like mine, i got terrible scores. I have 3 opinions as to what the problem might be: 1) Power supply cant handle computer. 2) bad drivers. 3) There is also another problem involving my combo drives, that they lag whenever accessed. and they lag really bad. i have SpeedupmyPC 3.0, and it says the drives take up a ton of power. Though they only have this problem after i have installed .Net framework pack 1.1. I was wondering if i need .NET framework 1.1, 2 and 3, or if i did that incorrectly and only need 3?

Here are my computers specs:

GRAPHICS CARD: Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT 512 MB
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P5B-VM DO
PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 Ghz
HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 200 GB
RAM: 2 Gigs of Corsair DDR2 XMS2
POWER: 400 Watt Xclio power supply
COOLING: Graphics card fan, processor fan, rear fan, side fan, manually installed front fan. I sit at about 45-60 degrees celcius all the time

To give a quick summary of the main problem, any 3d program will hitch and freeze for a split second every 5-10 seconds.

To give some more info on how bad its running: I installed FRAPS, and get 19-25 fps for Oblivion, with AA x 4, bloom, medium textures, no window reflections, etc. which is what my friend runs it at with a slightly worse computer than me, and he gets 80 fps.

Thanks!
~Sketch

Have you tried uninstalling and then re-installing one game at a time in case they did not install perfectly the first time? By doing it one at a time, you may also be able to narrow down the culprit, assuming one of them is guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back