New computer starts for 2 seconds then quits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am setting up a new computer for my sister. I have an ASRock K7VT4A Pro board with an AMD Sempron 2800+. My problem is after it is all hooked up it will start (sometimes) and run for 2 seconds then quit. Sometimes it will make it long enough to post and other times not. I've replaced the metal spaces for the board with the plastic ones and I don't think there is a metal on metal short. I put the processor in my computer and it worked fine so I know that the processor is good also. There are spots to change jumpers depending on what FSB your processor is and I have those in the right spot. Has anyone had this problem before or could anyone shoot me some pointers to try?

check the power switch hookup. there could be lots of causes, so if youre still stumped, taking it to a local pc repair shop would be a wise move.

Negatory. I have never had the board working it's brand new. I've ordered some thermal grease in a hope that maybe the heat sink is getting to hot. I'm not sure that is it because the computer only runs for 2 seconds and the cpu can't get that hot that fast.

it's not a thermal issue. a transistor or something on that asrock could very well be bad as well.

It could well be a thermal problem. Without thermal paste (or pad) your CPU could overheat instantly, thus causing your problems.
Wait till you get the paste, then apply it sparingly to the whole metal top, (or the whole pinkish rectangular in the middle of the chip, depending on CPU-model), and put the cooler on.

zephead said:
ahh, a cpu wouldnt cook that fast
Yes it could,if there is no heat limiting(as in,it turns off at a certain temp)it could easily cook in several seconds depending on your setup.

Is the speaker connected properly beamerpower? If it is,try to force a beepcode out of it,take out all of the RAM and run it again,if you dont get a beep then there is something wrong with either your speaker or mobo...so get a speaker from an old case(if youve got one) and try that out,if you still cant pull a code out of it then...your CPU is probably overheating and causing the computer the shutdown but your mobo is defective therefore it is not giving you a beep.

That was one long incorrectly punctuated sentence.

;)

Thanks,
Tyler

i merely didn't want the guy thinking it was a thermal problem, leading to much frustration and wasted time on his part. i apologize if i sounded offtrack or disrespectful.
i remembered something now anyways...try taking the board out of the case and run it on a wood table (or on top of a towel) and running it with MINIMAL components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back