New computer, whats next step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giyad

So I just put together a new computer for my first time... Its ready to plug in to the wall, but before I turn it on I wanted to know what my next steps were. I am installing Vista Business Edition as my OS. Once I plug it in, where do I go next, do I just put the DVD in the player and it will start on its own, or is there something else I need to do?

As of now, I have a Sony Blu-Ray writer and a floppy. Also, I have the Microsoft wireless optical mouse and keyboard. Will these work right away, or do I need to install drivers?

Here are my specs:
-Case: Antec Quiet P180 Black /550Watt Power Supply (Seasonic)
-Motherboard: eVGA nForce 680i SLI
-Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.40 GHz, FSB1066, 4 MB L2)
-RAM: OCZ 2GB DDR2-800 (2 x 1GB)
-Hard Drive: Raptor SATA 10,000RPM 150GB
-Video Card: EVGA GeForce 7950GT 512MB
-DVD player (Sony Blu-Ray RW)
-Floppy Drive
-Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Is there a system disk or something that I need to create before installing the OS?
Also, if I want to overclock, is it best to do that in the beginning or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance!

Order of importance:
  1. install a router (unless you only have dial-up)
  2. Enable the MS default FW
  3. go on line and get all the OS updates
  4. install a good firewall (google for Comodo Personal Firewall)
  5. disable the freebe MS Firewall
  6. Install Spybot S&D
  7. Install Spywareblaster
  8. Install a good AV program (AVG 7.5 anti-malware)

edit: RECOMMEND:
Create an LUA account for your regular email/surffing and using ADMIN only for install/updates/maintenance

First let me say that you have a beautiful system! I'm here at work drooling on my desk.

To get started just pop in the with windows DVD and let her rip. If you've never experienced a Raptor drive you are in for a nice surprise, they are wicked fast. I used the 36.7GB one for my brothers comp and I had XP installed in 12 minutes.

I would get everything working just the way you want it and get the parts burned in before you begin overclocking.

Good luck!

nickslick74 said:
First let me say that you have a beautiful system! I'm here at work drooling on my desk.

Haha thanks for the compliment, I like the setup as well ;D

I am worried though that I won't be able to use the DVD player or the keyboard and mouse right away. Is that not the case?

Turned on

Ok, so I plugged the power in and turned on the system... Everything is working :D so this is great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back