New computer wont start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys and girls, hope you are all well. I was wondering if any of you could help me out with a little bother i am having.
Basically, I bought a few pieces of kit to stick a computer together for my sister, and after having put all of it together, i'm having a boot problem.
The fans and hard drives come on, the lgreen light on the mobo comes on, but nothing comes on the monitor and no beeps from the speaker.

the set up is as follows :

amd xp 2400 (with retail fan)
asus a7v-400 mx mobo (built in gfx and sound)
256 meg pc2700 ddr
lg dvd drive
80 maxtor diamondmax

i have tried the memory and the processor in my own computer and they seem to work just fine.
i have also taken everything out the case and tried to start it up with just the memory and cpu + fan, but still get nothing.

So it is either a bust mobo, or i have set something wrong on the mobo. at the top right edge of the board is a blue box with some switches on it, for cpu external frequency selection, and i dont really know what that means.
there is a choice of 100mhz, 133, 166 and 200. I have left it as default 100, as well as changing between all the frequencies, however, i still get the same thing, no beeps, fans switch on, but nothing on monitor.
the motherboard also went through a crazy phaze where it would start up on its own if i switched the power on from the wall. has stopped that now though!

so would you guys suggest i just bin and get another motherboard?

Try a different power supply. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? If that doesnt work its probably the motherboard.

Do you have all the leads (power led- reset- hdd- spkr-) ect correctly placed?
Consult the motherboard manual and the chassis manual on how to properly place these leads according to polarity voltage and other variables.

Also-
there should be a lil wire from the cpu fan to a plug on the motherboard----
plug it in ..should be a a 2 pin connection. some boards wont boot unless they detect a fan or rpm- prevents the cpu from cooking during bootup until the heat protection safety feature kicks in ..

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back