New computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skitzo_zac

I am planning on buying a new computer for next year. It will primarily be used for gaming.

I am undecided on what parts are better and to get. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

CPU - Athlon X2 4600 or Core 2 DUO E6400! they are both around the same price, and i am pretty sure that the Core 2 DUO E6400 is more powerfill than the X2 4600.

GPU - i am thinking a Radion X1900GT 256mb DDR3 from powercolor.

RAM - i will most propably be using DDR2 and i hope to get 2gb's of it. i am abit confused with all the numbers tho, higher MHZ is better right? what about the timings and latency tho???

HDD - higher cache is better right? i mean there is like no price difference between 8mb & 16mb chache hard drives. But what is the cache? wat does it do?

and finally can all LGA775 socket mobos run a core 2 duo? or does it have to be a new like core 2 duo enabled mobo?

Definitly go with the core 2 deuo and for ram the lower latncy the better, for the viedo card go for the x1800xt, its as good or better then the x1900gt

I agree with Core 2 Duo. They need Intel 965 or 975 series northbridge motherboards, which are still socket 775. I believe asus has an nForce chipset out that supports SLi with Core 2 Duo. Get a X1900XT instead of the GT, much better performance there, although about $100 more. Bigger cache is better. Not much performance increase unless you get faster RPM (10,000/15,000), i.e., Hitachi's or Western Digital Raptors.

k thanx for the info on the mobos! i would love to get a 1900XT over the GT but it is out of my price range id say! but by the time i actually buy this comp and build it hopefully the DX10 cards should be out, so then i will be able to get a better DX9 or maye even a low class DX10 card! and i heard that Intel is releasing Quad Core CPU's by the end of the year, so i could proly get a better Core 2 duo in that case cos prices would go down! And im definitely not getting a 10k hdd they r way to expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back