New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFSFAN

Hi, I have about $2300 CAD to buy a new computer. What do you guys suggest I should get. I want to buy a 8800 GTS

Get a core 2 duo a 8800GTS 2GB of DDR2 800 w/ heatspreaders, a good CPU HSF, and a motherboard with a P965 Chipset, or eVGA 680i.

Sure, i pretty much isted everything, you could do some work lol ;)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2503444&CatId=2398
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2737354&CatId=2014
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2353501&CatId=2368

A case and a PSU, and try and find the Zalman 9500 nVidia edition, it would be so cool for all the green stuff, nVidia would be evident in your case.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18621&vpn=CNPS9500 AM2&manufacture=ZALMAN TECH
Zalman 9500 nVidia edition
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19341&vpn=996527&manufacture=MUSHKIN
Same RAM but like 50$ off!
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21654&vpn=EVGA680i/E6600&manufacture=Intel
E6600 and 680i
Then find a 8800GTS from eVGA and a case with some green LED's, and you will be set.

If you want to overclock above 3.6Ghz, you will need better RAM
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18580&vpn=TWIN2X2048-6400C4&manufacture=CORSAIR
Or just get that if you want better timings.

Umm.. that Zalman 9500 cooler you listed is not the "nVidia edition"

It's just the same as the original CNPS9500 except it supports the newer socket AM2 (and Zalman took advantage of having a new release, and used a new colour for it). And in fact, it does not support the Intel LGA775 socket, so it will not work with a Core 2 Duo.

And any creative sound card because EAX is ****in incredible.

It says nVidia right on it lol. But that is pretty gay that it dosnt support Skt775, especially since AMD bought ATI that is messed up lol.

I dont really see the point of getting a Sound Card unless you are like to edit sounds / make music, But sound cards could improve the sound effects in some game ( Oblivion ) but I usualy use headphones so I dont really notice

Also your budget is really NFSFAN, the stuff F1n3st put would keep you from upgrading for along time ;)

Not just games, of course, but if you play cd's or dvd's on your PC it will sound better. Also, onboard sound will use some of your system RAM so if you don't have much to spare, it could affect game performance.

It says nVidia right on it lol.

wow really? My bad...I guess I should have scrolled down that page first for a close-up picture of it.:p

But that is pretty gay that it dosnt support Skt775, especially since AMD bought ATI that is messed up lol.

If by "gay" you mean unfortunate, then I agree :D lol
I guess if Intel users want to get the famous Zalman CNPS9500 HSF, they are limited to the copper color and/or blue LED.
That really sucks for Intel users who have green-LED theme cases and don't wanna ruin the colour.

I know that I would prefer a black HSF over copper-colour anyday..
So NFSFAN, if you want an aftermarket Zalman HSF cooler, the Zalman CNPS9500 would be a prime choice. With that budget, you're all covered.

With a budget of a whopping $2300 CAD, you don't need to go short on anything. Definately get a nice sound card to replace the onboard audio. Go for something in the high-end series of Creative Labs.

Maybe you could even be one of the first people who build a SLI DX10 machine...that would be sweeett!

The parts that F1N3ST listed before would be excellent. Add an adequate power supply, and very fancy case. Look for a full-tower for more space, but most importantly look for something that matches your definition of being aesthetically pleasing.

Best of luck with your build :)

I really notice the differance in Halo PC with EAX enabled, there are echo's and envirement sounds that weren't there before. And this is on my 7.1 Channel Live! which is one of the lower end models, i would suggest an X-Fi XtremeGamer, I think it is the one with onboard RAM, and a good chip (X-fi) and has a cool black heatsink.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2687632&CatId=0

I am using this on some old earbuds, and the quality is still unbeleiveable.

It does have 64MB of "X-RAM", so there is like the best sound card for good money!

Nice sound card F1N3St ( your name is hard to spell :haha: ) i'll be sure to pick up one of those next build :D

Also is that price Canadian? It's alot of money just for a sound card

The price of that sound card is insane. But $2300 CAD is quite a lot of mula, and a high-end machine should not run without a nice sound card. Definately get something in the X-Fi series of Creative's Sound Blaster line, they are arguably the best.

For my sound (I love listening to music), it's still onboard :(, but I have two equalizers to enhance the sound effects (Reaktek HD Audio Manager and WinAMP Music Player). I am hoping to get a nice sound card around christmas, along with a modest but powerful speaker system.

P.S. NFSFAN, with that budget, you could even push a 8800GTS SLI configuration!! :) It's about time for some brave people to dish out the cash for DX10 SLI!!

Yeah I might get a DX10 system, I posted a topic in the gaming / console thread saying "The best gaming system" and I asked for people's suggestions in parts for a DX10 system that I wont have to upgrade for along time and will run Crysis really good, The highest price I had for one was like $16000 canadian :haha: but there was a pretty good one for like $3000 USD so I might get that one after I save up ;)

Nahh, I'm not going SLI, maybe after couple of months. Also I don't need the 8800 GTX. The 8800 GTS is plenty, for me I only play at 1280x1024 resolution with 4xAA and 16xAF. Well I don't know, maybe I might get a 8800 GTX, what do you guy suggest?? Also I was thinking of getting the SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer of Fatality, but I don't know which one. The Fatality is very expensive though.

PS. The 8800 GTX is more expensive than the combo F1N3ST showed me, with the eVGA Mobo and 8800 GTS combo.
BTW is the eVGA mobo better than the ASUS P5 mobo with 680i chipset??
Also is eVGA better than XFX in making video cards?

eVGA has step-up which you need to keep in mind, and uses better compnents IMO. And all the 680i boards are all about the same save the Striker. The eVGA one is great, and i would use it but its up to you.
Get the Xtremegamer, it is for gamers, fatal1ty, your paying for a name lol.

Xfx

In the past, I have used both brands (most brands under the sun actually)

But the thing I notice with eVGA they make good cards, but I do believe they have problems with quality control....They do a lot of recalls and ship a lot of DOA's in my opinion....I have had that happen to me a 3 times with eVGA out of about 10 card purchases...

XFX is the same quality and I think a bit more reliable.....

I do have a XFX 8800GTX and no problems thus far.....

eVGA has step up, and it secures your purchase, the ASC3 8800GTX has a differant better cooler, so it is currently the best 8800 except the BFG 8800GTX w/ water coolng

Useless

As of right now, we probably are not going to see any higher end revisions of the GeForce 8 cards for 90 days. The only other new cards we will se are going to be more mainstream like a 8600GT and that is probably close to 2 or more so months away. So step up really isnt a concern at this time if you are looking to "BUY NOW" yeah if your wanted to buy a 8800 GTX or GTS 5 months down the road id say step up coulnt hurt but right now Id pay a few $50 less and get a card that perform just the same....

Plus Step up isnt all its cracked up to be they make exception when ever they want....

From eVGA step up agreement:

Products known to have limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up Program. (Limited availability determined by EVGA production.)
EVGA retains the right to revoke or revise the EVGA Step-Up™ Service at will. If so, participants shall be informed through the EVGA website without notice of any such change.

EVGA marketing stated the following on their support forums:

"Due to the limited qty available of the 7900 GTX and the 7950 GX2 SKU’s we had to turn off the step-up availability of these 2 SKU’s."

So yeah take it as you will

XFX is giving away a sexy headset with the purchase of a GTX or GTS so that also cool....I got 2 and really like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back