New computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great site! I have spent some time lurking and can't seem to find anything pertaining to my question in the forums so I thought I would register and ask.

I am in the market for a new computer (tax return season and all). It is my wife who insists that I buy a computer built, from a brick and mortar store, rather than build one or buy one from the internet. I understand her feelings about this and will respect them.

I have about $600, give or take to spend, and this is for a computer and monitor. I have found some computers that I like, but I am not an expert and would like some input here. The front runner is this gateway:

Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Processor 3800+
(2.0GHz, 2000MHz FSB, 2 x 512KB L2 cache)

Display
19" Widescreen HD LCD

Chipset
NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 (Crush51)

Memory
1024MB dual-channel DDR2 (2 x 512MB), 533Mhz
(PC4200),

Video
NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 Integrated Graphics up to 128MB of shared video memory

PCI-Express (PCI-E x16) slot available

Hard Drive
200GB PATA (7200rpm, 2MB cache)

Optical Drives
16x multiformat dual-layer DVD±RW drive
(up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media)
Write max: 16x DVD +/-R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW,
4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM

found here: http://www.gateway.com/home/products/ret/ret_GT5235E.shtml for $750.

If this is a decision that I will regret for the rest of my life, I will not be offended if you let me know.

I would really like to be able to game on this system, and so will likely want to also buy a card at a later date to add. At that time, will the above system not suck?

Thanks for your help in advance -

Jay

That Gateway is a good unit for the money. We have a lot of similar Gateways placed around the southwest. We find that a low priced Gateway is better in reliability than a low priced Dell.
However, I would sweet-talk your wife up to $700, then make shipping extra.
There are excellent upper end Dell, Gateway and IBM/Lenovo machines available as refurbs that are superior in most ways to a new machine.
Also be sure to read the fine print on the warranty, particularly on the monitor, and also on the length of warranty. It is the first nine months and the fourth year that you need a warranty the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back