New DFI Mobo Won't Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDawg

I'm guessing this is a mobo problem. Just upgraded to a DFI Crossfire board, a athlon 64 x2 4400+ and an x1900XTX. Got the 3 adapters that were needed (20 to 24 pin, 8-pin to 4-pin molex, and the PCI-express 6-pin to 4-pin molex) got it hooked up, and I can't power it up. The stand-by light is on on the board. The board has a power and reset button directly on the board, but that won't turn it on either. The other parts of my pc are in my profile...

So you got everything plug in, but when you turn on the power for the cpu it fail to run? anything appear on the monitor???

I know that there are problems with Asus, Abit and DFI Crossfire mobos(That's why I chose MSI). I think that there are boot problems with the DFI. Google a bit with " DFI RDX200 problems" and you might find some info about this. Also try to get an RMA if you can. Try with an other PSU -- or by removing some parts too.

yea I guess I am just going to get an RMA on the board...I don't see any other reason for this problem...also the other day I powered it up after some fumbling around...and an LED flickered on and off real quick, so this could be lead to believe it's a PSU issue but I've never had problems with it before, so I'm almost 99% sure it's the board. i'll google this problem again before I RMA it just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Did you try to boot up with the bare minimum? That is, 1 stick of RAM, 1 hard drive, etc. etc. Just enough parts to get the system boot up.

Okay, just checked your profile. You're using an Aspire psu. I'd try a different power supply. DFI is well-known for picky psus and RAMs. I would recommend Enermax 535w or OCZ Powerstream 520w. Good, clean, and efficient power is very much a requirement to run an enthusiast motherboard like DFI Crossfire. You're also using value RAMs. Again, DFI is not value RAM-friendly because it's an enthusiast board. You don't put a 50's engine in a 2006 Lexus, the same applies here.

There have been some problems with DFI's crossfire board, but I wouldn't go point the finger at DFI before I point at the PSU and the RAM. If you don't believe me, check out dfi-street.com. It is DFI's official forums. Post your system and your problem. The first solution will be to replace the psu, trust me :).

the friendly people over at www.dfi-street.com told me that some PSUs are not compatible with this certain board for some reason, and proceeded to make fun of my aspire 520 w. psu :eek: so they suggested possibly the Hiper Type R 580/Enermax FMA 535W / Zippy 600W 88% / Antec Phantom 500W/ Seasonic S12 500. They said those will work really well for this board

Could be...

If it still doesn't work, try it with nothing except a PSU : No CPU, no RAM, nothing. Maybe even the LED will not come on. You will have to see if the PSU fan starts turning.

The people at DFI-street (I'm among the list) have seen too many examples of this. The crossfire edition board from DFI is extremely picky (even for DFI boards) in terms of PSU options. With a good PSU though, I'd imagine your problems would magically disappear :). Good luck and hope everything goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back